Universal Image Mounter on Backup and Recovery 10 Suite

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by diabloNL, Nov 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. diabloNL

diabloNL Registered Member

I installed Backup and Recovery 10 Suite, but it doesn't install the Universal Image Mounter. When I uninstalled Pro 9 I manually removed the Universal Image Mounter from the device manager because I wanted a clean install. Now after installing Backup and Recovery 10 Suite it is not there and I'm not able to mount archives.

I already uninstalled Backup and Recovery 10 Suite and reinstalled it but it still isn't there. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

It's not there for me either.

I am surprised they haven't removed the mounting function entirely.

It is not necessary - Files can be restored with Restore Wizard or File Transfer Wizard.

It works great - images well and at a decent pace - restores fine, too.

3. diabloNL

Thanks SIW2. It's not that I really need it, it's more that I want to be sure that I can count on the rest of the software.

I have tried to restore with version 9 when I was setting up my new netbook. Now the dilemma is, should I just keep making backups and forget about it or try to do a restore to be sure it works? It's just that I have done a lot of work setting everything up like it is now. :D

Also I got a message when trying to start Drive Backup Pro from the express menu that it could not start because another program was using the hard disk service. After a couple of tries it suddenly worked. :doubt:

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

It will make you feel confident to do a restore.

I usually make an image of a very small partition with a few gb of data - it doesn't need to be an o/s partition - then restore the image , just to check.

You might want to try it.

5. diabloNL

I just have one partition in my netbook. Maybe I will take the risk because you´re right. It will make me feel a lot better if I know it works.

Do you try it out for every update? I mean a minor upgrade. With Acronis I used to stick to a certain version after I had successfully restored an image.

6. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Yes, I try a lot of the products - so I know how they work to answer questions on the various Forums.

You might try a full restore - depends how much stuff you have on there as to how long it will take.

Alternatively, you could just use just a small partition - created just for testing - much easier as it is quick , and allows comparison of performance by using the same source and target partition each time.

It also lets you know if the boot disc works perfectly for your hardware.

Fortunately, the Paragon products recognize arc backups created by other Paragon apps.

Always worked perfectly for me.

The Paragon apps sailed right though all the beta builds of 7 I tried over the past year or so - that's more than I can say for some other imaging apps.

Keep us posted as to how it goes.

7. diabloNL

Well, I did a full backup and restored it. All seems well. But there is one thing that puzzles me. I excluded my music, pictures and video from the backup. But now after the restore all the files are still there. I know about the issue that PDB will backup those excluded files anyway as dummy files that contain no data. The strange thing is that after the restore some files (music, video and pictures) say they are corrupt when trying to play or view them but others work perfectly.

How is this possible? I made a full backup and without a sector by sector. I hope someone can explain how this can be because I don't understand.

I have restored in the past some of those songs out of an archive to my desktop and the were always taking the drive space but when opening them with notepad they were completely empty. Now some files shows data inside and some only a few charachters.

8. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

For now, the file exclusion feature is not working properly. We'll try to keep you posted on the forums when this will be fixed. For now, it may be in your best interest to include those files and enable the best compression.

For even better compression, locate your layout.ini file and change the compression to value 9.

9. diabloNL

Does that mean that the rest of the Windows installation could be corrupt because of this? I do hope they fix it soon because I chose the paid version over the free version for the reason I could exclude files an folders.

Also I still would like to know how it could be that some files still worked after the restore. They couldn't have been in the backup because several movies still worked after the restore and the backup archive was not big enough to have housed them. It almost looked like DB somehow placed the "dummy" files back and combined them with the partial data that was still in that location on the HDD.

10. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi Diablo,

No, it means the exclude function is only excluding some things you expected it to.

When you restored, you got some things back you thought were excluded.

It appears to be some kind of glitch.

I had no problems restoring my image.

The only things I excluded were Auxilliary o/s files.

I keep data on a separate partition(s) from my o/s.

Much easier to manage that way.

I expect a new build will be released to resolve any issues revealed in the current build.

11. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

I personally never trusted Microsoft to store my media files. Would never use My Documents, My Pictures, My Videos folders. Like SIW2 said, having all your important data on a separate partition will be easier to manage its total size because the Windows partition constantly grows with program files, updates, and temporary junk.

Particularly useful if your Windows crash and you have to reinstall Windows on the same partition. Your data files are untouched.

12. diabloNL

Thanks for your help guys. I have created a second partition for my data now so I don't need to exclude anymore files.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.