United Virtualities - Ooqa Ooqa

Discussion in 'adware, spyware & hijack cleaning' started by Samuel Witch, Nov 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samuel Witch

Samuel Witch Guest

Hi, For info,
    Today my IE browser was hijacked by the above at pcadvisor.co.uk a UK computer magazine published by Published by IDG Communications
    who also do Computerworld, PC World, Network World, Macworld, Channel World, Specialty.

The management state it is just advertising, however it accessed my favourites and changed one, spawned new windows and would not close, it also spawned a doubleclick advert. IMHO this is virus like activity and should be banned, I have protested to the management. I posted to spybot search and destroy under suspected threats.

My 'hijack this' log is also posted there. SpywareBlaster has been installed. I wonder if this "United Virtualities - Ooqa Ooqa" can be blocked for the future.

I am told it is part of Rich media ad firm United Virtualities -- best known for its Shoshkeles "takeover" ad format -- is branching out into new territory with the upcoming release of a browser-rebranding product.

S

2. Samuel Witch

Samuel Witch Guest

Please see http://www.internetnews.com/IAR/article.php/1004431

for a full article on the advertising subject.

3. samwitch

samwitch Registered Member

The management have replied to me saying they dont see what the problem is, their logo is in the hijack portion which makes it alright to click on it.

I have tried to explain about deeplinking but they are deaf to all protests.

This is one to watch for the future when you get redirected without warning.

4. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi samwitch,

Welcome at Wilders. :)

Could you please follow the instructions in this post:
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=15913

We should be able to help you get rid of this nuisance.

Regards,

Pieter

5. samwitch

samwitch Registered Member

Thanks for your post, Spywareblaster is installed, spybot s&d is also installed and I have hijack this,

all found nothing odd about this page, spybot found an odd reference to a dynamic hole in IE which had never been reported before.

I am told this new advert relies on flash to operate, spywareblaster obviously has a flash blocker. but as many sites commercial or otherwise that I frequent use flash it is a bit overkill to switch all flash off.
    I was looking for someway to block this for the future.

eg spybot blocking or hosts additions, according to the article I mentioned in above threads this is going to be more of a problem as it rolls out. It is nearly impossible to get rifd of it and as soon as you do if you click another site with it loaded its back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.