Uninstalling expired Norton

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mercurie, Jul 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Need a little advice from those with experience.

What is the best way to uninstall Norton Anti-Virus 2004. 90 days is almost up. went to Command AV.

Most suggest use uninstall. But I hear Norton is like blackberry vine or morning glory vine in a flower garden, intangled throught out the system with left over files and reg. keys everywhere. I have SystemSuite 4.0 which I can use to help get rid of dead wood. If someone with experience can guide me on what is safe beyond the green signs in that utility after uninstall as well. I do not have the uninstall tool that comes in that utility as I was warned somewhere not to use that. Step by step help good at following directions but I am a novice. Thanks a bunch!! :D

2. Mudd

Mudd Registered Member

I suggest you go to Symantec Web Page and look around for the "Uninstall Norton 2004" for the best answer. The page will give you details about Registry deletes as well as some folder deletes. You will be happier with this way.

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Use my avast! External Control program found on www.security-ops.tk.
    Program is intended to use with avast!,but some features are system global. Like Norton Antivirus 2004 Cleaner (almost at the end of the functions list).
    I made a fully automated cleaning for NAV2004 (and Pro version too).

4. Madsen DK

Madsen DK Registered Member

Nice page you have there, Rejzor :)

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

You can get the norton antivirus uninstaller from symantec here

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Yes you can,but it doesn't remove half of undocumented files including bad ass VXD drivers that screw other antiviruses...

7. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear RejZor, please tell us which particular files are left behind by the NAV 2004 uninstaller, specially those VXD files.

8. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I completely removed NIS from both of my computers but the main key to success was preparation before uninstall. I de-activated as many things as I could removing Norton from as many tasks and plugins he has. I really disabled everything in sight, remember he has a plugin in Office.

example: Highlight Auto-Protect
    Uncheck "Enable Auto-Protect"
    Uncheck "Start Auto-Protect when Windows starts up"

Highlight Script Blocking
    Uncheck "Enable Script Blocking"

Highlight Email
    Uncheck "Scan incoming Email"
    Uncheck "Scan outgoing Email"

Highlight Live Update
    Uncheck "Enable automatic LiveUpdate"

I re-booted the computer so NIS wasn't loading automatically and then used the program uninstaller (if you need to use ADD/REMOVE then the extra clean up tool for Symantec may be necessary)

After booting again delete any files and folders found using Windows explorer - ran a very good reg. cleaner - did not let it re-associate anything to do with Norton. Closed down again, another clean to see what else is found, closed down and then do a string search of the registry looking for Norton & Symantec items. It took me quite a while but I really did remove all traces form my own computers and have recently used the same method for a friend. There were so many things left over I was not able to note all of them :( I was able to install my current AV and firewall without conflict or error with the help of my registry cleaner which really did root out all bits of NIS. Sorry it is a cut down version but just to let you know that it can be done but takes time.

RejZor - excellent link thank you.

9. mercurie

Thanks everyone. Will start the process in a minute. I am going to leave 12 days on the table.

By the way Command AV has put out a July 31 update. Norton Liveupdate yields zip. Intelligent update fine but no liveupdate. I think that is a stupid way to do business. :p

Robyn, I have to be careful I have Norton Personal Firewall, good until mid 2005, I do not want to screw that up. I will have to exercise caution. I am not big on trashing subscription software that works even if I should have maybe bought something else. Wanta keep Firewall otherwise it's wasting money. Thanks again and I like that cool webpage too.

10. mercurie

Just checking back with the results. Took Robyn advice turned it all off and deleted all Norton scheduled task window stuff. Then went to BigC73542 Norton page and followed instructions (which means follow Norton's instructions as they appear) Norton AV 2004 gone in 60 seconds. Reboot required and it was lightening fast reboot with NAV gone. The NPF 2004 works just fine. Thanks to all :cool: :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.