Uninstalling CA's firewall (Error E9011)-help please

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by acr1965, Mar 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I knew I should not have messed with this company again. But anyway, I decided to try out the CA Personal Firewall and have now decided to uninstall it. But everytime I try to uninstall I get an Error E9011 message that says:

"Error E9011: You do not have sufficient privileges to install or uninstall CA Personal Firewall.

Unable to update registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.efw

Try logging on as Administrator."

Well I am the admin of this computer. Plus I tried to have the CA PF not load with windows at start-up unchecked yet it does anyway. The "load CA Personal Firewall when windows starts up" is unchecked as I am looking at it right now. Have rebooted several times, yet it still loads everytime.

I have checked around the internet and this issue of uninstalling CAPF does not look promising at all. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Have you tried uninstalling in safe mode?

3. acr1965

Well I got an email from CA and followed their directions. The firewall is gone but the HIPS is still there and will not allow me to delete it, even in safe mode.

4. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

5. Roberteyewhy

Roberteyewhy Registered Member

Try in either in Safe Mode or Normally (Admin account):

1) Go to the sevices snapin (Administrative Tools>Services)

2) Disable ALL CA/HIPS modules.

3) Restart PC and log in to Admin account or Safe Mode.

4) Now try uninstalling.

Hope this helps!

6. acr1965

I was finally able to uninstall the HIPS. Thanks for all the help.

7. Gez

Gez Registered Member

Make sure you delete or uninstall the CA firewall drivers left behind in Device Manager.
    Go to Control Panel | System | Hardware | Device Manager | View | Show Hidden Devices | Non-Plug and Play and uninstall the drivers left behind by that useless CA program. I forget what they are called but if you go down through these hidden drivers one by one and check the driver information in the Properties tab you'll find them, with CA as publisher. Let me know if you need help.

8. acr1965

I checked and they are all listed as publisher unknown. But the ones that I found look like they go to programs I am currently using. I didn't see any with CA or HIPS in their names.

9. krudy27

krudy27 Registered Member

hey i found a way that worked for me download dial a fix when you get it run it goto the little hammer icon select repair windows permissions and start when its done you can remove ca then use ccleaner to clean up the junk hope this helps :cautious:

10. azn_angel142

azn_angel142 Registered Member

hey, if you still have that site, could you post it? i have the exact same problem... :(

11. mandyg6931

mandyg6931 Registered Member

Hi, I Contacted CA online support and they transferred a file to my comp to use in safe mode. It says it uninstalled successfully-however as backup :thumb: I received these instructions from CA-

Restart the computer in Safe Mode and perform the following: (Skip the entries that you do not have or that are not deletable in safe mode ) 1. Manually delete the files and folders in the following locations: a. C:\Program Files\CA\ b. C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\CA\ c. C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\CA\ d. C:\WINDOWS\system32\ 1. UmxSbxExw.dll 2. UmxSbxw.dll 3. UmxWNP.dll 4. msxml4.dll 5. msxml4r.dll e. C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ 1. KmxAgent.sys 2. KmxCF.sys 3. KmxCfg.sys 4. KmxFile.sys 5. KmxFw.sys 6. KmxSbx.sys 7. KmxStart.sys 2. Now,click Start and then run and type in regedit. This will load up the registry editor. You need to delete the following entries in the editor: a. HKLM\SOFTWARE\CA b. HKLM\SOFTWARE\ComputerAssociates c. HKLM\SOFTWARE\Qurb d. HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\ 1. cafwc 2. capfaem 3. CAVRID 4. cctray 5. PPRT 6. QOELOADER e. HKCR\Installer\Products\B1BAABDB463BE56439D1E4E2F2E006A9\ f. HKCR\Installer\Products\F8E0B90689E0FB64589F17321D20D248\

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.