Uninstalling a program from non system partition

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by ameyap, Mar 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ameyap

ameyap Registered Member

Hi,
    I have a returnil pro system safe 2011 subscription recently acquired. Version 3.2.11341.5521-REL11. Just to test out returnil I uninstalled a program that I was anyway going to uninstall from my system in virtual mode. Now this program was not located on the system partition but another one. So when I booted normally into my windows vista home premium I found the start menu links to this program but (I found out late) they would not work as all the files they linked to were very obviously deleted.
    Now my question is obviously I think all the registry entries to the program must still be there right? So in order to delete those I will have to reinstall the program and remove it again.
    My second question is, I regularly try out new softwares. So looking as returnil protects just the system partition should I be installing these into the system partition or can I install it anywhere and just delete that folder later on when I log into normal mode based on the assumption that any registry entry that the program installed were not entered/modified in the registry in the virtual mode? Is there anything specific that I should be doing?
    Thank you

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi ameyap,

You attempted the uninstall while in Virtual Mode - yes? If valid, what you should expect to see are changes on the System Partition not being lost at restart, but the program files and data (if applicable) removed from the non-system partition per the process in the application's uninstaller.

I would try to "re-install" the program with the Virtual Mode off in RSS. Most modern installers have some form of repair feature or upgrade in place process that would get the program reinstalled so it could then be properly uninstalled including components of the System.

Possibly, but as you have seen in the description above and your experience here, that there may or may not be an issue with files missing, but registry entries remaining. One way to solve that and reduce the potential for startup errors related to missing files, you could go the route of installing in a default way (installing the program to the system partition).

For those who need or want to separate into system/data, System/data/programs type of configurations, software uninstalling should be done in a precise way so that there is no problem with startup and the system being properly updated with the changes.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.