Uninstallers and "snapshots"...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Longboard, Sep 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

I hope this is intelligible!
    remember, humble home user (occassional stirrer )
    Looking for some education and advice.

I have been checkingout/considering uninstallers.

The two which seem to have highest kudos are Ashampoo and TU from G.Martau. Not unhappy about paying reasonable amounts to save endless manual cleaning fiddles if they work.

Both use "snapshots" to record installation and then complete the "snapshot" after reboot and first run of the software to pick up any windows "stuff"

What I'm not sure of is snapshot of what?

If I install and record several apps how will/how does the uninstaller separate each "snapshot".

If I install several apps in a certain sequence wont they then have to be uninstalled in the same (reverse) sequence?

(this feels like trying to explain time travel paradoxes and english is my first language!)

Once again I demonstrate my lack of OS knowledge :doubt:
    Those with knowledge of these things are probably shaking with laughter!

I have toured through the TU forum and asked similar question there with limited understanding of replies.

And, out of interest can any body comment on how well these uninstallers might work if faced with something like (shudder) recording and uninstalling Symantec AV, Firewall, etc

ANy comments about these tools and how they work and might work with multiple out of sequence installs/uninstalls?

Thanks.

Regards.

2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Snapshots in TU include the Windows Registry (minus any exclusions configured in TU3) and files/folders (as defined in the Include/Exclude sections of Tools/Options/Scanning Profiles/Folders). Normally you would take separate snapshots before and after each application installation for TU3 to pick up the changes made (note that you do need to run the application concerned - and if the setup involved a Windows restart then you need to remove all the "Windows System" changes involved).

The only circumstances where you would not use new before/after snapshots would be the following:
    • Installing multiple software as one unit where you would only want a single entry in TU - in which case you delay taking the "after" snapshot until the last item is installed.
    • Installing multiple software onto a clean system - you could save time by reusing the "before" snapshot taken in the first install for other subsequent installations. However once security software is installed or a Windows restart done, such a snapshot would be out of date (resulting in lots of external changes being picked up by TU not related to the install). Therefore it should not be reused unless you are prepared to go through the changes list removing entries not related to the installation.

3. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

uummm,

Thanks P2000. Sorry about delay in response.

I am still a little losto_O Australian you know. Too much sun:D (Mike Nash some sort of mutant!)

I think I follow, but:

If I install say three seperate Apps and take snapshot of before and after each as per TU; if I then unistall App no1 will the snapshot then revert to the pre-install s-shot of all three apps?
    Hence my query about sequential uninstall or not.

This is what I dont quite get. May be my interpretation of "snapshot".

Or: does the installer/uninstaller just keep a record of what "goes in" at the time as the snapshot.
    Mike Nash also says that OA can be used as uninstaller. Any experience of this? http://www.tallemu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=151

Thanks

4. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

No, the before/after snapshots are only used to produce the list of changes for an application - so if you uninstalled App 1, the changes recorded for it (only) would be rolled back. Other applications should not be affected, unless they modified the same keys as App1.
    I've not used Online Armour since (a) most of its features overlap with other software I run and (b) it requires online activation on install (see Online Armor 1.1 Released).

Using it as an uninstaller will have pros and cons - the pro is that it should be able to track changes made by individual processes, so should be able to pick up changes made by an installer while ignoring all the other changes Windows (or other software) makes - this is especially important if a reboot is needed since this results in significant registry changes (mainly hardware/plug-n-play related). However, many programs make further additions to the registry when first run so it would be necessary to track the program in question as well as its installer using OA - with TU you take a snapshot after running the program and that should include both sets of changes (though you will have to filter out any made by other software and Windows itself).

OA's approach would likely be easier to use, but it depends on its ability to track changes made by child processes (programs started by the installer) and merge changes made by the program installed. If these are lacking, then it would not be able to pick up on all changes so would not be able to do a complete uninstall.

5. shortboard

shortboard Guest

Whew,fast!
    Thanks again

So I guess the last query is: how do I know if the same keys ahve been changed?

Also I noted when I trialled the TU there seemed to be many entries that were flagged as "problems" and I didn't altogether know what to make of these.

I appreciate your insights with this. "TU: 1.01 :Classes now in session"

Regards

6. shortboard 2

shortboard 2 Guest

P200;
    Plus>>>

Does the prog actually do its' job? and safely?
    How badly couold I screw up my registry?

I suspect you experience of actual results.
    Your positive recommendation would likely shift my preferences.
    I do like the feel of TU.

Any knowledge of Ashampoo by comparison?

Regards

And thanks for time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.