uninstaller with real time engine looking for

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by mantra, Nov 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Here is what the user manual states about all of this:

"Here is the summary you have to do to install programs with Revo Uninstaller Pro:

1. Right-mouse click on the setup file of the program you want to install (or use Install Programs toolbar button in Revo Uninstaller Pro)
    2. Install the program as usual
    3. Start and configure the program (programs)
    4. Press Stop and Save on the band (toolbar)

Some programs require restarting before you are able to run them for the first time. If that is the case you have to Stop monitoring, Save the log and then restart. Revo Uninstaller Pro has the ability to detect system restarts and save the log automatically, but in this case the name of the log will be the name set by Revo Uninstaller Pro."

Have not had the opportunity to try one of these cases myself where a reboot is required but I dare say what is stated above sounds feasible.

:D

PS: Mods; hope it is OK to quote user manual? If not then please delete as appropriate.

2. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks
    i would be happy to know such results

do you think total uninstaller is still the best ? i mean the last version, i don't talk about the free version

3. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

That's a real pain. Total Uninstall does this automatically across reboots.

4. Scoobs72

TU has a real time monitor called "Agent" in the Pro version. The agent intercepts installs as they happen, based on various masks. It's just a way of avoiding having to manually right click "Monitor with Total Uninstall" on the .exe when you do an install.

5. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

But does it automatically start after the reboot to continue monitoring? It is recommended to run a newly installed program at least once, as new registry keys are created on the first run, before finalizing the install log. Wouldn't Revo real time monitor miss those addition keys?

6. Raza0007

I did not know that. I thought it was a snapshot based uninstaller only. I will look into it.

7. Scoobs72

Yes it is still a snapshot based uninstaller - perhaps I have misunderstood what folks were talking about when using the term 'realtime'. Any other method apart from snapshot based sounds very dubious to me...however I'm now curious so will take a closer look at Revo :)

8. Scoobs72

Well I've taken Revo for a quick spin with a side-by-side comparison to Total Uninstall. Initial impressions:

1. Monitoring of installations is certainly simple and more convenient than Total Uninstall. This is it's big plus point, however Total Uninstall can hardly be seen as inconvenient in the snapshot monitoring method
    2. The accuracy of monitoring appears good and based on my single install test, on a par with Total Uninstall
    3. Support for monitoring across system restarts appears poor and the manual has just 4 very vague sentences on the subject. Reliable monitoring across restarts is a critical requirement of any tool such as this.
    4. Revo is missing many of the advanced features of Total Uninstall, too numerous to list here.

In summary, the realtime monitoring is nice, but aside from this it can't match Total Uninstall for features and capabilities. With further development it could be a nice alternative, however the monitoring across reboots issue has to be addressed.

Disclaimer - the above info was based on a 30 minute test. If I missed anything, it's not my fault!

9. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Cannot advise on this yet as I have not yet installed anything new that requires a reboot. I will go looking for one and if I find a likely candidate I will try an install to see what it does in this case. Will of course post back if and when that occurs.

:D

Edit: Scoobs has responded re. this but I have just noticed elsewhere that apparently improving the real time install re. handling reboots is on the cards...but no idea when this might be.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  10. mantra

mantra Registered Member

yes i agree
    but i gess revo is more safe
    when you try to uninstall a tracked program it allarm you on keys that could be dangerous to delete

total uninstall doen't do it

11. Scoobs72

TU does this automatically through excluding specific files/folders and registry entries by default in the snapshot analysis. 99% of people wouldn't know whether a registry key was safe to delete or not :)

12. Scoobs72

...note to self...stop sounding like a fanboy.

13. pegr

pegr Registered Member

14. mantra

mantra Registered Member

do you mean the last version of total uninstaller is like revo , i mean there a lot of keys in exlusion list because they are dangerous to delete?

i was not able to run revo in safe mode , is there a way to load revolt.sys in safe mode?

do you test under xp sp2 /vista sp1 or w7?

thanks a lot

15. Raza0007

Thank you for carrying out the test. I could not find the time to try it myself. So, the real time engine can not monitor after a reboot and that makes it only 50% useful.

I will be looking forward to this improvement to the real time monitoring engine. The technology looks promising, but without the ability to continue monitoring after a reboot it is currently only partially useful.

16. Raza0007

I believe we are discussing the "Real Time Monitoring" technology of Revo, which is new and so probably is not discussed in the previous discussion threads.

17. pegr

pegr Registered Member

It's being compared to Total Uninstall though, which was previously discussed. In any case, I imagine the caveats relating to the use of third-party uninstallers in general probably still apply.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.