"Uninstaller component missing"

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JRCATES, Jul 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Hi,

I am unable to open and access Real Player....I've tried numerous times without any luck (receiving constant error messages from Microsoft and then the Player window shuts down instantly and automatically).

So...I thought that I would "TRY" to uninstall the program, and then reinstall it. Now here's the problem....when I try using Windows "Add/Remove Programs"...or even go to "Start>All Programs>Real>Real Player>Uninstall Real Player"...I get the same error window that appears: "Uninstaller component missing".

Huh?

I've found the file that is SUPPOSED to contain the uninstaller (1rpuninst - Uninstaller Shell Executable - RealNetworks, Inc.), but it doesn't. The shortcut .r1pclean.exe apparently is empty also.

So what can I do now to uninstall this program?

2. hadi

hadi Guest

First Reinstall the program on top of it self (to let it rebuild the micssing components). After that UNINSTALL IT. It should now uninstalls normaly.

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Or just download r1pclean.exe.

Even after uninstalling, there is still alot of debris left.

If you want to install again, maybe you can take a snapshot with Total Uninstall..

Then in the future if you want to uninstall again you simply uninstall normally then use TU.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2005
  4. JRCATES

Thanks, Blackcat....that was VERY helpful. You don't know how much I appreciate that. I was able to download the uninstaller component, thanks to your link....and then uninstall Real Player. Yes, it left behind a lot of junk....and kept Registry Mechanic plenty busy deleting all of the left behind registry entries....but hopefully at least I'm on my way to getting this taken care of (still kinda in the middle of it now). I do plan to use Total Uninstall once this is finished, to save me from future situations like this. The ONLY reason I intend to reinstall Real Player is because so many web-sites with video and media footage REQUIRE it! Otherwise, I wouldn't go near it again.

THANKS A TON!

5. JRCATES

As kind of a follow-up....Real Player left behind it's imprint on the Windows Add-Remove Programs list....without the ability to actually remove it from the program list! Think that installing the application again, and then trying to remove it through Add-Remove would do any good?

Looks like this one may push bellgamin's 6 step program using Total Uninstall to more like 8 or 9!

6. Blackcat

Are you now trying to completely remove RP from your computer?

If you are, why not try a "spyware"-free version of RP after using TU on your present version?

7. JRCATES

Thanks again, Blackcat. Have you installed this version? Is it the same as the "regular", only minus the crap? The only reason I even want to even have Real Player back on my system is due to the large number of internet sites that "require" the use of Real Player to view specific content (videos, clips and media footage, interviews, etc.). Will this version downloaded through this BBC site essentially be the same player, with the same capabilities?

Oh...by the way....other than reinstalling and then trying to uninstall again....you don't know of any way to remove Real Player form the Windows Add-Remove Programs list by any chance...do you (the program is gone...but the entry for it remains on the "Add-Remove" list)?

8. Blackcat

I have used the "BBC" version of RP for a long time without any problems.

But there are alternatives, including Quicktime and Real Alternative.

9. JRCATES

Is it the latest version of Real Player (10 or 10.5), because something that I was reading said something about verison 8!?!?

10. JRCATES

Oh, and I'm guessing other than "RE-installing" Real Player, there's no other way to remove it from the Windows Add-Remove Programs list....correct?

11. hadi

hadi Guest

there are. try to remove it fronm add7remove first. if the entry remains. write back

12. Blackcat

Yes, the BBC version is a older one. But as far as I know it still does a capable job. As stated I have had no problems with it at all in playing any files.

But maybe you would want to consider an alternative? In this respect, the K-Lite Codec pack, in the link above, looks interesting.

13. JRCATES

I've tried...several times....it still remains. Matter of fact, now there isn't even the "Size ( x MB)" or "Used" (frequency) and "Date last used" entries like this is for currently installed and functioning products......just a blank entry for it.

14. hadi

hadi Guest

15. hadi

hadi Guest

didn't prompt you to delete the entry. are you surethat there are no leftovers except that entry in add/remove. thats why my first advice was to reinstall just incase are other files were missing beside r1pclean.exe.

16. Blackcat

1. If Real uses the Windows Installer, this may help; http://windowsxp.mvps.org/MSICLEAN.htm

2. Otherwise you may have to use RegEdit, TweakUI or TweakXP;

http://www.barrett.net/addremove.html
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310750&Product=winxp

3. Or Add/Remove Pro; http://www.superwin.com/freeware.htm

I would try the free Add/Remove Pro first.

17. JRCATES

Man, Blackcat....you have been a lifesaver tonight!

I used the first link to successfully remove "My Way Search Assistant"....a browser helper object that WinPatrol considers as a piece of "spyware" or "adware" (but that Dell somehow saw fit to PRE-install on my machine prior to delivery) from my system (there were TWO entries for "My Way SA" in Windows "Add/Remove Programs"....one which could be (and was) removed by Windows Add/Remove, the other one without any program info...but which this nifty utility took care of).

Then, I followed your advice to try "Add/Remove Pro", and it successfully removed the Real Player listing in the Windows Add/Remove Programs directory. I think that this program is a keeper. And now I have just two questions for you:

1) Where do you FIND all these little program utilities?, and
    2) Where do I send the check? :D

18. Blackcat

Glad you were sorted out ;)

But make sure you have removed My Way, as it can be stubborn to permanently remove.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2005
  19. JRCATES

Blackcat,

As a bit of a follow-up.....after uninstalling, I have two folders/objects that remain associated with Real Player. One is a folder entitled Real, located in C:\Program Files\Common Files which has subfolders entitled Codecs, Common, GToolbar, Plugins, Update, and Update_OB. I am guessing that this folder is safe to delete/remove....but the other folder related to Real is RealMedia Asset.x32, which is located in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Macromed\Shockwave 8\Xtras. I'm guessing it can go also...because when I double click to try to open it, I get a window popping up asking in order to open it needs to know which program created it, and offers to do a search for that program by two different ways (one is through the internet).

Am I correct?

Also....when certain internet sites "require" Real Player to view certain content....will the Real Player "alternatives" successfully play that content? I'm not looking for a digital library or player to listen to music, etc., I have another player for that. It's just that many sites REQUIRE Real Player (asking connection speed, all that good stuff) to view specific media clips.....

20. Blackcat

1. The Real folder with the plugins should be okay to remove.

2. The System32 folder appears to contain the Real Asset Management system to "stream data" to your computer. But since Shockwave is a different media plugin to Real I would play safe and leave this folder.

But if you carry out any folder removal, particularly shared files, make sure you leave them in the Recycle Bin for awhile or take a system restore!!!

3. Real Alternative should be okay for any files requiring RealPlayer.

But don't forget you may need to change your browser settings for any new media plugin.

Apart from IE, RA will also work with FireFox, Mozilla, Opera and Netscape!

Good Luck ;)

21. JRCATES

Hey Blackcat,

Regarding Real Alternative....this is from the link to the site that you provided:

"• Note:
    - Real Alternative 1.42 works only with DirectX 7 or higher."

I used the search function, to search all files and folders....and I have a file folder called DirectX listed under C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 on my machine. There is a subfolder under DirectX called Dinput, which contains several dimensions, configuration settings, etc., listings within it....but how can I tell if I have the required version 7? Or how to upgrade to version 7 with as little trouble as possible (without adding additional "folders" outside of the DirectX folder, etc.)?

Thanks

22. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Go to Start Run and type dxdiag. From that gui you will get the info you need.

To upgrade, go here

HTH,

Jag

23. Blackcat

Unless you have an old system, your present DX version should be sufficient.

But see if your version is 7.0 or greater by carrying out the quick check as Jaguar pointed out.

24. JRCATES

Yep, and big thanks for the advice, Jag. I followed it and it worked....I have version 9.

And thanks again for all of your help with this as well, BC. Real Alternative is now looking just as the name would suggest ;)

25. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

JRCATES,

Glad you got it all sorted out. I sent you a return PM.

Regards,

Jag

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.