Uninstalled NAV, now no internet?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by MarieBoyer, Apr 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarieBoyer

MarieBoyer Registered Member

My sister-in-law's NAV 2005 (6 month trial version) expired on her new computer (emachine/xp home). I went over and helped her remove it following the most up-to-date removal instructions, per this forum. I checked the C:/program files and no evidenceof any NAV leftovers. I then cleaned her computer with cccleaner to remove any and all remnants. I then installed AVG-free onto her computer.

It seemed fine. But then in the morning, she could not access the internet (either through IE or Firefox). I installed the winsockfixit (I think that is what it is called) and she was up and running again on the internet.

But then this morning, once again, no internet access. I am sure it is related to the removal of NAV. Her computer had NO PROBLEMS until we removed NAV.

Can someone help me help her? Thanks so much!

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

3. MarieBoyer

Marcos:
    I used the latest uninstall tool provided by the Symantec website and followed all the Symantec directions.

How much would you charge to give me access to the tools you referenced? I would be willing to converse via email if you prefer.

Thanks very much.

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

In regards to repairing Winsock & TCP/IP....you could follow this procedure that has been successful for many users.

5. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
  6. MarieBoyer

I downloaded the "winsock xp fix" program and ran it on her computer last night. Internet was back up right after that. Then shortly thereafter, she lost internet connectivity again. We ran it again. Internet was working, then she lost internet again.

Is it common that this program would only act as a temporary fix?

Bubba's link had two suggestions. Now that this winsockxpfix appears not to fix it, should I go ahead with the second recommendation in Bubba's link (deals with editing the registry)? I am wondering if the fact that winsockxpfix does not work causes anyone to wonder if there is something else going on.

I need to ask you one more question before I try the registry edit, if that's okay. Someone gave me this link at the symantec site:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...85256edd00478e45?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

This appears to have different registry instructions. Should I still go ahead with the directions from Blackspear on the link you provided?

I am so grateful for everyone's help. Thank you so much!

7. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

No.
    By all means try the second approach, but I fear you should see the same behavior. It does appear as though something is actively breaking connectivity.
    I would try the Symantec link first. Blackspears instructions are basically a manual version of what XPWinsockFix accomplishes. That obviously is not doing it. It sounds like something is actively subverting the fix and the Symantec link implies it is the Windows DHCP client not seeing a dependent service. While I'd actually expect this situation to yield no connection at all (versus a connection which drops), give it a try. A little more explanation from Microsoft is here.

Blue

8. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England

That winsockxp fix just automates the 2 steps one would manually do, which the Link Bubba showed you does. In doing that manual step, you need to do both steps at the same time. I used to do that manual method all the time of clients machines before finding that quick utility, which I've used over a hundred times.

Regardless, if internet connectivity stops shortly after running that program, then fixing the winsock, be it with the quick 'n easy GUI utility, or by doing the same thing manually with those 2 steps, is only a short term fix. Something else must still be in the system. If you're online long enough, I'd try installing a handful of scanning utilities, getting them updated before your internet drops again..then give that system a scan. Spybot S&D, Adaware, Microsoft Defender, update AVG, Ewido, CCleaner (run this first), etc.

9. MarieBoyer

The microsoft page recommends backing up the registry first. I have cccleaner installed on her computer. Can I just run a registry backup using that? (I do not understand how to make a registry backup otherwise?)

Thanks for your continued help! This is scary.

10. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

11. MarieBoyer

Wondering if I should also uninstall the AVG-free that I installed after I THOUGHT I had successfully removed all traces of NAV from her computer? I also installed Zone Alarm-free at same time as well.

Would you recommend uninstalling AVG/ZA before I run symNRT, and then re-installing these after I use your symNRT and the winsockfix?

Or just leave them and see how it goes?

Thanks so much to everyone!!!!!

12. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I agree that if after useing the symantec tool SymNrt and the winsock tool you are still having trouble then it is more than likely it is not norton causing the problem. Even ccleaner is known for causing problems of it's own.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2006
  13. tuatara

The best way to repair this is to have the two programs AVG/ZA install-ready at hand (on disk)

Download the tools mentioned above on your harddisk

Then uninstall AVG and ZA , run the two tools in the correct order.

And reinstall AVG and ZA (ZA without the AV part of course!!).

Be carefull not to have 2 AV's on your system, that is like asking for trouble.

If you follow this, damages to AVG and/or ZA will be fixed as well.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2006
  14. MarieBoyer

Shall do this exactly as you describe.

What do you mean "install AVG without the AV part"?

15. tuatara

I made a typo, if you read it again, it will make more sense

sorry ;)

16. MarieBoyer

Thanks so much everyone. Tuatara: I did exactly as you described. I wish I had those directions from the start. I am surprised that Norton does not provide them to all users.

But, so far so good. I have not heard from her that her internet connection has gone down, so thus far it seems to be working. Thank you, thank you!!!!

17. MarieBoyer

I spoke too soon. She had no internet again this morning.

I know this is related to NAV removal. It is a 6 month old computer (had a 6 month trial subscription to NAV 2005 installed already when she bought it), and she has no viruses or other problems. She has run Ewido, Adaware, Spywareblaster, and cccleaner and NOTHING shows up. She is otherwise completely clean.

When she runs the winsockfix program, she is up and running for a time. So it is a temporary fix but there is something else going on, of course.

Can you guys help me with this any further?

At this point, we would pay to figure this out.

Thanks so much for your expertise here.:'(

18. MarieBoyer

new thread: old problem (NAV removal)

Computer is EMachine, running XP Home.

I uninstalled NAV 2005 from my sister's computer using the latest programs recommended by Symantec (and others who posted answers to my earlier question). I thought I had successfully removed it as there were no traces on the computer, as far as I could tell. I installed AVG-free and Zone Alarm-free.

But then my sister lost internet connectivity. People here and elsewhere recommended (1) uninstall AVG & ZA, (2) run symNRT.exe followed by winsockxpfix, (3) reinstall AVG & ZA.

I did that and her internet worked again. But only for a little while. We then ran winsockxpfix again and her internet was up and running again. Then it goes down again a little while later. The computer is not turned off while she loses internet access.

Can someone help me or turn me toward the proper place? We are so frustrated with this because her computer is brand new and ran like a top before she uninstalled the NAV (which was already on her computer when she bought it). I followed all removal directions to a tee.

Please help us if you can. Thank you in advance.

19. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hello Marie,

So as not to duplicate assistance already offered concerning this ongoing problem....I have merged your recently started thread into your ongoing thread.

Regards,
    Bubba

20. MarieBoyer

Thanks and sorry about the new post. It seemed like the post died so I wanted to ask it again. My apologies.

21. BlueZannetti

MarieBoyer,

Let me ask a couple of questions/comments:
    • When connectivity is lost, does the loss occur in a predictable fashion? By predictable fashion I mean after a fixed time or specific events, say always after x minutes or always after an overnight period or launching of some application (email?).
    • Since you say you uninstalled NAV, which is just the Symantec AV product, and replaced it with AVG and ZA which is an AV and a firewall, did you disable the native Windows firewall before installing ZA? To check this, select Start>Control Panel>Network Connections. Select adapter you use, right click, select Properties, click Advanced tab, select Setting in Windows Firewall box. Is it set to Off?
    • Alternatively, a quick way to assess whether this is a basic configuration problem or conflict issue with ZA, uninstall ZA only and enable the native Windows firewall (that way you have an in-bound firewall but no ZA). Does this imporve the situation?
    Blue

22. MarieBoyer

Blue:

1. She loses it after an 1-2 hours or so. She is not sure of the time frame, but she knows it is on and then she returns to the computer and it is not on anymore and she needs winsockxpfix to get it back.

2. Yep. I de-activated windows firewall before installing ZA.

3. This question made me take the following action. I uninstalled ZA, activated windows firewall, and eureka, she has internet access.

If you solved this problem, I will owe you big-time!!!! Do you think this will do it? She is dancing the jig at her house right now in hopes that this is the solution. Fingers crossed. Thanks, thanks, thanks again.

23. BlueZannetti

MarieBoyer,

This suggests it is either a basic conflict or configuration issue with ZA. Since I don't use either product myself, I have really can't make any firm suggestions.

If this change seems to have fully resolved the symptoms, and your sister-in-law wants to continue using ZA firewall (it is a very decent product), what I'd recommend is to pop on over to the ZA Forums and see if one of the ZA experts could provide definitive assistance. I don't know how completely ZA uninstalls, but some programs retain basic configuration information over an uninstall/reinstall dance. Occasionally, an unfortunate choice of options or responses to prompts can lead to problems. One other option involving ZA would be to completely remove any folder/legacy file related to ZA to try to start from a completely pristine state. Not sure if that would buy you anything since it's been a while since I used ZA, just a suggestion.

Blue

24. MarieBoyer

Blue:
    Thanks very much. Her internet has been active all night and day. Yeah! Thanks for your help. Very grateful!

I am going to check out Kerio or some other option. I have heard that ZA's latest build has caused conflicts with software.

Thanks again!!!!

25. BlueZannetti

Glad to hear she's back up.

There are a number of very good firewalls out there. I use LooknStop and Outpost Pro on a variety of machines, they work well but are by no means the only good options available. Happy hunting!

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.