Uninstalled...but not really.....

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by olamoree, Aug 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. olamoree

olamoree Registered Member

XP SP1a
    ATI 8
    C: 12Gig,/D: 40Gig
    E: 80Gig
    F: 120Gig on Promise ATA133 PCI card

Installed and gave ATI SZ 50Gig on the F: drive and scheduled once daily at shutdown, incrementals of the C: drive, 9.5Gigs. A few weeks later I noticed that it was using 40Gig with only scheduling Incrementals at shutdown once daily, then suddenly, scheduled incrementals stopped running, tried to reschedule but incrementals would not run and reported that if Admin password was not right, would not back-up...I have never changed password. Tried making backups from the bootup using F11 and ran two, then, even without backing up started getting error reports that ATI wanted more disk space, so I gave it 10 more Gigs. It demanded even more so I decided to Uninstall and Reinstall starting over. Clicked to Uninstall and remove SZ and Uninstall hung (not responding) 10 times. Checked Forums, Uninstalled and successfully deleted SZ manually (Fat32) but could not get unallocated space to return to F: drive. Now, at each startup, get error "Acronis Loader fatal error: Boot Drive (partition) not found. Press <Enter> to try to boot your OS.... And it does boot XP because I have Restore Console installed.

I noticed in ControlPanel/AdministrativeTools/ComputerManagement/DiskManagement that ATI is seeing the F: drive as the Primary Activeo_O?? Now there is no SZ, no ATI in StartUp, no ATI program files, ran System Mechanic 5 and no registry crumbs of ATI, but STILL, "Acronis Loader fatal error....." and search for Acronis Loader returns nothing.

To resolve: 1. Complete Uninstallation to try to reinstall. 2. Get rid of Acronis Loader fatal error. 3. Get unallocated space (58Gigs) back into F: drive to make new SZ (with a Partition manager, I suppose).

I have now learned that ATI wants/needs 3x+ of size of incremental backups in SZ, which is NOT apparent in Instructions, but why is it asking for more and more every time I tried to do an incremental back up?

Thanks for any help.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello olamoree,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

To get the space from Acronis Secure Zone back to the general partitions you need to indicate which partitions you wish to give the space to when you choose "Delete Acronis Secure Zone" option. Each new incremental needs the space for it since the older incrementals are not deleted. If you have any defragmenting software installed the incremental images may be of approximately the same size as incrementals.

To get rid of the error at startup you need to right click on "My Computer", choose "Manage" and click on "Disk Management". Please right click on the partition with your operating system and choose the "Mark Partition as Active" option. After that please fix MBR either using Windows Installation CD or one of the way described at Acronis Help Post.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. olamoree

olamoree Registered Member

Thanks for your reply. "Mark Partition as Active" is greyed out on the C: drive and is NOT clickable...... now what?

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello olamoree,

The option to make partition may be greyed out because it is set to Active already. If this is the case, please fix MBR in either way I proposed above.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.