Uninstall Returnil Does Not Free Up Virtual Disk Space

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by morganchaser, Jun 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morganchaser

morganchaser Registered Member

In order to reconfigure my "Virtual Disk" and virtual memory settings, I uninstalled and reinstalled Returnil Several Times. With each time: I have not recovered the consumed disk space from the previous installations. System Restore was active, but I've throttled it's allowed memory settings. Regardless: I can't picture it exceeding it's 15% allocation.

Does anyone know what is eating all of my disk space? Can I identify it, and delete it?

2. A Tester

A Tester Registered Member

I too had the same situation. Someone else can tell better suggestions, but here is my.

System Restore has a habit to store recently uninstalled stuff (yes it can exceed its limit). So probably your Virtual Disk and cache are now there. Windows Disk Cleanup tool can help or not(?).

The easy way is to turn System Restore feature off and then back on, but you will then lose your all restore points.

A other way:
    Manually remove those big files from the System Volume Information folder (functionality for other restore points??).

The instructions how to gain access to there are here:
    For XP
    For Vista

Find recently created folders. It should not be hard to find those big files.

Remember to put rights back when you are done.

edit: Added link

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  3. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi morganchaser and welcome to the forums :)

We are aware of this issue. It is related to Windows System Restore and certain file extensions (namely .sys) that are automatically included in a restore point. We are currently investigating ways to allow the user to "exclude" these files in a future version of the software.

Mike

4. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Update

This issue has been corrected in v3x. We are currently working on a solution for 2x users that will provide a "clean up" for these files as soon as possible.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.