Uninstall NOD - leftovers?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by beethoven, Oct 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

Just read a review on NOD http://reviews.cnet.com/NOD32_2_5/4505-3513_7-32103849.html?tag=nl.e757 at CNEt and while it is generally positive, I stumbled across this sentence:

As I am very happy with NOD I feel it is unlikely I will have to do this, but how correct is the above statement?

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

They are joking right? NOD32 is brilliant for removing itself, it only leaves behind an empty folder in C Drive> Program Files. On the other hand Norton requires the use of the "Norton Removal Tool" to extract its tentacles from your system :mad:

Cheers :D

3. SSK

SSK Registered Member

All I ever found after an uninstall was the ESET folder. Me thinks the reviewer had a bad uninstall... :)

4. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Exactly.

More than one part of that review is a complete contradiction to my own personal experience - sounds more like they wrote the wrong names beside the uninstall results.

Cheers :)

5. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

I too have only ever found the Eset folder under program files - my experience is that NOD32's uninstall is one of the cleanest around.

We should all bear in mind that it's a December 2005 review - he's saying things that are wrong interspersed with what seems like a backhanded comment...

overall, I'm not that impressed with the "editor" - if you listen to him on this video, he's calling trojans and viruses the same time - although that might be for simplicity's sake...

if you listen to the "editor" on this video, he's calling trojans and viruses the same time - although that might be for simplicity's sake...

http://reviews.cnet.com/How_to_stop_computer_viruses/4660-10165_7-6558034.html

When talking about "light" av solutions, he rates trend 2006 top of the pack and etrust right behind it... o.kkkkkk.......

Everyone has their favourite programs, obviously those of us here that were so impressed with NOD32 that we became resellers are equally as "slanted" in our "reviews" of products as this guy appears to be. I really don't think he's being 100% objective though... although that's *my opinion* !! ;)

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

:D :D

Yes ,from December , things change :)

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

idk about trend, but etrust is a light solution, so his rating would have some accuracy.

8. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Keep reading, the reviewer goes on to explain - 'Unlike other vendors that add antispyware and antiphishing technologies on top of their antivirus engines, NOD32 includes these within its basic scan engine, allowing NOD32 to be lighter and faster than the competition.'

Cheers :)

9. cprtech

cprtech Registered Member

Thank you for that. I guess it made no sense for the author to have mentioned this immediately after stating it does not include antispyware protection :rolleyes: In fact, why would he say in the first place that it doesn't include it?

10. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Initial impressions compared with later discoveries maybe? o_O

11. Elwood

Elwood Registered Member

NOD32 is among the best programs about "cleaning up after itself" when uninstalled, it removed the Eset folder in Program Files when I uninstalled it (when I was having hardware problems, but was not sure at the time and I was "troublshooting") and the only leftover in the registry was a "start menu order" entry.

To me, that's a great uninstall routine. Very few programs, especially antivirus programs, uninstall as cleanly as NOD32.

12. Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter Registered Member

Admittedly, I was a little confused with the CNET Review too. , but I want to avoid the comparisons with Norton, etc... I can tell you, McAfee was a BEAST to uninstall..

I actually think NOD32 leaves more registry entries than just one or two, but again, I was just wondering how true CNET's review was.

I can say, as a former and now again present user, it really does a great job of detection.

13. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

LAME Review!!!

14. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Ummm, that's because NOD32 does it for you automatically. :rolleyes:
    OK, guilty as charged, here.

15. nonmirecordo

nonmirecordo Registered Member

Two things to remember about reviews, whether in print or on the web:

Journalists, on the whole, aren't as knowledgeable as they think they are; they rarely give a product, any product, the time it deserves to evaluate it fully.

The magazine, website, whatever, has to sell advertising space to survive. How do you think Symantec have got away with it for so long?

Me? Cynical?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.