uninstall NAV only but keep utilities

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by gbac, Apr 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gbac

gbac Registered Member

I am using Norton SystemWorks 2005 (Version: 8.02. Build: 6). I want to replace NAV with Panda Titanium but keep the other utilities because I find these useful.

1.) Is it possible to just uninstall NAV and replace it with Panda and keep other utilities without any bad effects on the system?
    2.) If possible, what's the best way to do it?

Help.

2. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i do not remembar exactly but you should be able to just install norton utilities without the av or firewall. i know they sell these separate. its been a while since nortons was ever on my systems so im not sure of the new version. someone here could correct me if im wrong

3. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

It's been a long time since I used NSW. , but if I remember correctly, it was possible to remove NAV only. I was running NSW 2003, but maybe it works with 2005 too. Go to Control Panal>Add/Remove Programs and click on Norton SystemWorks 2005. Click on the Remove button. This should open the NSW wizzard with a Remove and a Modify options button. Click on Modify and you should see a list of everything that is installed. You should be able to remove NAV from there. If that doesn't work, there is the long way. That involves uninstalling and reinstalling NSW. This time do a custom install where you uncheck NAV and it won't be installed.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

4. gbac

gbac Registered Member

thanks for the response. I think it's possible to just take NAV out through Add/Remove Programs. But i am more concerned with conflicts with Panda or system instabilities. I guess the question should be paraprhased as:

Will removing just NAV and leaving other utilities be ok if I install a new AV, like Panda for example, or do I have to remove the whole Norton Utilities and all traces of Norton for the new AV program to work?

5. Piecan

Piecan Registered Member

Hi there
    I have a very old Norton Systemworks 2001 on my win98 computer and have just disabled the antivirus part and liveupdate and installed AVG anitivirus. I haven't had any conflict problems. The only minor annoyance is that Zonealarm asks if I want it to monitor Norton antivirus and there isn't an option for AVG. Andie

6. gbac

gbac Registered Member

reason i asked is that i had a bad experience with mcafee. i had norton. uninstalled the av. installed mcafee and got a lot of errors.

called mcafee support insisted that i remove all norton software as in eradicate it from my pc.

i think it was ridiculous because i thought utilities shouldnt have any conflict with the AVs but i did it anyway...

after a few days i also got rid of mcafee and went back to norton.

I just really wanted to know if someone out there had an experience or would know because i dont want to buy panda if i have to get rid of my norton utilities.

any thoughts?

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have run mcafee 7.03.6000 with just nsw without the norton antivirus and it worked just fine. I just uninstalled systemworks and reinstalled it without the antivirus by exploreing the systemworks disc on install and only installing the modules i wanted.

bigc

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It is possible to "rip" certain utilities from System Works package. Disk Doctor and WinDoctor are just two such apps. Clean Sweep is another one,but without installation monitoring part. One option is to create a CD image of your original CD,mount it on virtual drive and use these 3 apps directly from CD (without installation).

9. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

when I ripped the seperate modules from my system works disc they all had there own GUI and would work indepentently from each other.

bigc

10. DarkStar

DarkStar Registered Member

I had a similar issue and Symantec said it was OK. This might help others.

I had NPF2003 and NSW2003, and I wanted to replace NPF2003 and the NAV part of NSW2003 with the latest versions (using NIS 2005). Thus keeping Norton Utilities, Norton Protected Recycle Bin etc.

Symantec Support replied:
    Please note that NIS 2005 comes bundled with NPF 2005 and NAV 2005. Installing NIS 2005 may create conflicts between NAV part of NSW and NAV part of NIS 2005. To resolve this issue, I suggest that you please uninstall NPF 2003, uninstall NAV part alone from NSW and then install NIS 2005. Please follow the steps provided below:

Step 1: First uninstall NPF 2003. To uninstall, please follow the steps provided in the document provided below:
    Title: 'Uninstalling Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall 2003'
    Document ID: 2002100403452936
    http://service1.symantec.com/Support/nip.nsf/docid/2002100403452936

Step 2: Now, uninstall NAV part alone from NSW 2003. To do this, please follow the steps provided in the document below:
    Title: 'How to uninstall individual components from Norton SystemWorks 2002 or 2003'
    Document ID: 2001072709405007
    http://service1.symantec.com/Support/nsw.nsf/docid/2001072709405007

Step 3: Now, for troublefree installation, please prepare your computer and then install NIS 2005.
    To prepare and install from CD, please follow the document provided below:
    Title: 'Installing Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall 2005'
    Document ID: 2004090714323036
    http://service1.symantec.com/Support/nip.nsf/docid/2004090714323036

Also, please note that there are no compatibility issues with NAV, NIS and NSW and you can run LiveUpdate without any issues. However, if you face any issues, please get back to us with the exact situation that you are encountering on your computer.

HTH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.