Uninstall incomplete >> reinstall impossible

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by jwcca, Feb 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

I uninstalled 173, later I wanted to reinstall it I got an error. I tried cleaning the registry, but still can't reinstall. The tip was to conact Raxco, but they no longer support FD. What can I do?
    I have w2k-sp4
    The error message was "Sessioninfo key could not be found".

2. Leapfrog Software

Leapfrog Software Leapfrog Management

Greetings All,

For those wondering, I worked with JW on this and it appears to have been a corrupted file system leading to a corrupted registry. ISR was unable to access the Windows registry in order to add its service to the system. A fresh install of the OS and a import of a previous archive that JW made seems to be working just fine.

NTFS corruption is rare, but it can happen. Most of the corruption we do see are from improperly overclocked systems (This was not JW's case). Keeping that recent archive really pays off.

3. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Improperly overclocked systems = excessively overclocked systems without stress testing?

4. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Thats a new one to me!

5. Leapfrog Software

Leapfrog Software Leapfrog Management

Yup, and the most common is an untested high FSB (Front Side Bus) leading to corruption in the RAID or JBOD configuration.

Many overclockers (new and old) have enjoyed ISR since they can test a products benchmarking results in XP, Vista x32, Vista x64 in the time it takes to boot the system.

6. lucas1985

If you go to xtremesystems.org, you'll find tons of examples of Windows/filesystem corruption. That's why I prefer mild, rock-solid overclocking over insane, unstable overclock.

7. Hairy Coo

Thanks will check-I have tried insane and all that happened was the BIOS reset the CPU to default ,or the BIOS needed resetting!

8. lucas1985

You were lucky :D Extreme overclockers are already prepared (with a clean image or an OS already installed in another HDD) to screw up their OS when they push too hard.

9. Hairy Coo

Lucas

O/T but interesting-seems any problems in this area happened prior to 2004-which suggests a general improvement in hardware has occurred in the meantime.
    Never read about a current problem.
    Have you heard of many cases at present?

10. lucas1985

Few and far between.

11. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

The real problem was that the MB was purchased Jan. 2003, it's starting to fail, I've lost one of the 2 IDE channels, capacitors are "bulging" and some have a brown "scab" on the top, I began to get corruption on my Raid1 (Raptors) after I installed an new "hotter" video card which I uninstalled soon after. So, the problem is old hardware mixed with more demanding new hardware resulting in lost registry settings which manifested themselves by altering the way some apps worked. One was FD.
    I installed w2k on a new PC, added FD and imported an archive. This was a bit "exciting" because I had to uninstall old drivers as well as deal with a flood of "Found new hardware" messages that came up so fast that I had several reboots to handle them all. But, everything worked except for one thing, the w2k oesn't recognize the second cpu in the recovered snapshot. It does in the clean install, but I can't use that because it only includes IE 5.0, and newer apps, PCC-cillan and others, require at least IE 5.5. My dilema is whether to try to get an upgrade to IE using a totally unprotected system (sans firewall, AV) or just run with a single cpu (AMD X2-5200) instead of 2. I may try but don't have a great deal of hope that MS still offers that.
    Jim C

12. lucas1985

An unreliable motherboard leads to an unreliable system and data corruption.
    Data corruption makes a system useless.

13. Hairy Coo

Exactly-your capacitors(and mobo)could self destruct any minute.

14. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

I'm pretty sure that's why I bought a new one.
    And reading through the posts, not much useful was said, so much for asking for help here.
    After a couple of days of nothing, I PMd Todd who was serious, intelligent and tried to actually help. And FD worked the way Todd intended it to on the new PC.

15. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Indeed!

I used to like so many take for granted that such an occurance would be at best very remote, well although no mobo failures here yet, it finally sunk in and occured to me that the possibility of this was too great to simply leave up to chance.

After all we're dealing with electronic circuitry here and even a single small componant malfunction/failure can and will lead to a disabled system, so it's only practical to prepare ahead of time by storing up-to-date images to alternate media just for such a event.

Personally i store away BOTH back up images and FD-ISR archives to other hard drives as a local preservation method.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.