Uniblue closes its doors for good

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, Dec 10, 2018.

1. guest

guest Guest

Uniblue closes its doors for good
    December 10, 2018
    https://betanews.com/2018/12/10/uniblue-closes-its-doors-for-good/

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I heard about this a month or so ago when they posted the news on their website. No great loss in my opinion.

A good example of how little attention Uniblue receives these is days, is their antivirus Uniblue Security Suite, which was released a year or so ago. If you Google "Uniblue Security Suite" you will find almost no references to it other than on Uniblue's website. The antivirus was just a rebrand of some dodgy antivirus, rather than their own product, but I was surprised that it got no attention.

While I did not like Uniblue or their software much, there are some inaccuracies in the article, that I feel I should correct.
    All registry cleaners, even CCleaner's registry cleaner, will detect errors on a clean install of Windows. That's is true for every registry cleaner. On a fresh install of Windows there are some references to files which don't exist and some registry keys which contain no useful information. There keys can be safely deleted (or left alone, as there's usually no need to delete any errors found by a registry cleaner). Also, it common for a registry cleaner to find errors when doing a second scan as sometimes there a registry keys which reference registry keys which were deleted. Auslogics Registry Cleaner and Registry Mechanic are smart enough to find the extra keys in the first registry scan, so that a second scan will find nothing. TuneUp Utilities/AVG Tune and Vit Registry Fix, give the option to do another scan of certain areas of the registry when they think another scan will find more errors. But most other registry cleaners will sometimes find more errors when doing a second scan.

3. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Yes, but the problem is that they are being flagged as 'errors', a term which immediately scares users. As you say, those keys are irrelevant, and does not do harm to leave them be (or delete them), so they are certainly not 'errors' by any reasonable definition. But we do not all comply to the same level of reason, and this vague definiton of 'error' is a selling point for registry cleaners.
    But it should also be noted that Microsoft is pretty sloppy when registry maintenance is concerned and having an out-of-the-box system does not (unfortunately) imply that the system is speckless.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.