Unexpected inbound traffic skype

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus/Smart Security Beta' started by Faraways, Sep 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Faraways

Faraways Registered Member

I have got some unexpected inbound traffic today when using skype v5.3.0.108. Before today I have never had this when using skype. Using registered Eset Smart Security from v4 and now v5 for a while without problems.

As I cant find any reliable info about the ip-adress/domain and why I suddenly get this inbound traffic I ask here. Maybe someone can figure out if this is to be blocked or not? :doubt:

[skype.exe,tcp/udp,local port 51877,remote port 62256]
    2011-09-08_230642.jpg

2. Faraways

Seems that microsoft have bought 'groupme' and the ip could be linked to this. If you block the ip then skype disconnect and fail to connect again. :oops:

If someone has different view... ;)

3. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Hi, how did you assocaiate 'groupme' to suddenlink.net ? I don't see a connection, either on your screenie or when doing a WHOIS on 173.216.15.125 !

4. Faraways

@CloneRanger

Sorry,you are right. The ip links to suddenlink.net (and not linked to 'groupme') but cant find any link to skype or why I get inbound traffic like shown above. Ive not given it access but just closed and restarted skype and it stays away for a while.. maybe till it popup again like it did before. :doubt:

No malware found by eset,malwarebytes and no rootkit-like or other suspicious activity.

5. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

As part of its transport protocol, Skype makes peer-to-peer network connections, so when running it you will see random-looking connections to hosts you do not recognize, just like you would with a peer-to-peer file sharing program.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.