Undisclosed Browser Concerns 4 All !

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Spanner intheWorks, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Just one point on this topic... my avatar and the others here with movement in them are not moving because of ActiveX, active scripting or Java. They are simply animated GIFs, and most basic image viewers will even display the animation effects.

If animated GIFs are not "playing" in IE, then check the setting: IE > Tools > Internet Options... > Advanced tab > Multimedia sections > check "Play animations in web pages". Also note that many filtering and proxy packages have options to disable animated GIFs, as some people find them distracting and want to disable them. That's why that options exists to disable them.

Attached Files:

2. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

The same applies to Opera. I can have both JavaScript and Java disabled, but as long as I have the check in the box beside "GIF animation", I can view animated gif's. Opera doesn't have ActiveX, and I use Opera regularly. Sorry I cannot comment on FF as I don't use that browser.

Regards,

snap

Attached Files:

3. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Posting here does only require an active user, no ActiveX, Active scripting or whatever.

4. LowWaterMark

Firefox controls animated GIFs via its "about:config" page's option: image.animation_mode

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_Tips_:_Animated_Images

5. LowWaterMark

Oh, just so we don't get lost focusing on animated GIFs only... I've been running for the past hour or so here using IE6 on XP with security on High, (therefore no ActiveX, active scripting, Java, meta refresh, etc.) and for the most part the forum is quite usable. (I was testing this because of the dialog we had with Nat which we've since split to its own thread here.)

As was pointed out in Spanner's other thread, all I'm missing from having ActiveX disable is the GLOW and SHADOW text, which is explained in that thread as simply how IE implements those functions with an embedded ActiveX control.

Java (as in Java applets) are not used in vBulletin, so nothing is missing because of not having Java enabled.

Active scripting being disabled blocks all the Javascript functions here on the forum. However, those are mainly convenience items. For example, the "click-able" Smileys that auto-insert those characters into replies don't work for me without Javascript. Likewise, the automation in the pulldown menus and text format buttons above the reply box don't function. But, I can do it all manually, of course.

Very true, I can browse the forum, read threads, make posts (preview them), read and send PMs - all without any of these features enabled. Some things are just a little harder without the Javascript automations.

6. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

This may be the problem I've been having, I can't get the smilies, bold etc to work with FireFox.

7. LowWaterMark

Firefox seems to work about the same. I have just a basic Firefox 1.0 installation - no extensions, no themes, no plug-ins...

If I disable Javascript in Firefox (see image below) then it works exactly as I mentioned running above with IE at High security. No Javascript automation features work, but everything can be done manually. Of course, there is no GLOW or SHADOW, since those aren't supported directly in Firefox. (Java being enabled or disabled makes no difference since as mentioned above, there are no Java applets here.)

Well, Firefox doesn't have ActiveX, but it does support and use Javascript, if the box shown below is checked. But, as I've mentioned, it isn't "needed" on vBulletin except for some ease of use automation functions.

Attached Files:

8. LowWaterMark

Enabling or disabling "Active Scripting" in IE controls both Javascript and VB Script. Microsoft simply combined the control of these two items together and called it "scripting of active content" in IE. Most other browsers just have a setting for Javascript alone.

But, the only one of these used on a vBulletin forum is Javascript. And, as I said above, I can post here just fine using IE with Active Scripting disabled. Now I know you said you get the popup alerts because you have Active Scripting set to Prompt, (which you should because those alerts are generated simply because of the Javascript present in the source code of the webpage), but have you tried to test it by simply setting Active Scripting to Disable, and then trying to post?

A check of the page source code confirms that all Javascript does are the various automations and similar functions as I mentioned above. It is not necessary to have Javascript enabled (or IE's Active Scripting) to post here. The "Submit" and "Preview" button work without the need of Javascript (active scripting in IE). But, all those other button - icons, text effects, and so on do require Javascript to function - but you can post without it.

9. LowWaterMark

One last time... Javascript is NOT needed to post on vBulletin, no matter whether you are using IE or Firefox. If for some reason on your system it is needed, then I have to suspect your system has some other misconfiguration.

10. LowWaterMark

As I tried to explain to you, "Active Scripting" is merely a "Microsoft term" that is used to encompass both Javascript and VB script. Firefox does have the ability to run Javascript, so in that regard it does have "active scripting" capability.

But as I also said, people can post with either Firefox or IE, regardless of whether or not they have these active features enabled or disable in either browser.

11. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Since you have JUST installed FireFox, and BEGINNING to learn about ALL it's features and capabilities, maybe a read-through of FF's support forum might be of some help in answering your questions:

Mozilla Firefox Support

Regards,

snap

12. LowWaterMark

Can you post a screen shot of what you are seeing? Maybe that will help because I can assure you, all the basic functions in vBulletin are designed to run with secure browser settings (no active scripting / javascript, etc.) At times, even the folks at Jelsoft (makers of vBulletin) have recommended that people disable Active Scripting in IE during the period between an exploit discovery and a patch from Microsoft. They'd never be able to so that if people could use their forum software with that disabled.

13. LowWaterMark

Ah ha!! :D

Of course, you can't use that editor without Active Scripting (or Javascript) enabled. That's the WYSIWYG editor which is entirely Javascript based and even uses some ActiveX control functions for one or two things.

That is not the forum's default reply editor. It's a highly scripted / active content editor. But, if you go into the User CP > Edit Options > and scroll to the bottom where the Misc options are... Choose the Standard Editor from the pull down menu... You can post without Javascript.

14. LowWaterMark

Well, that's actually the biggest problem when diagnosing things remotely. Every PC is different - settings, registry hacks, software installed, and so on; plus usablility settings such as forum options make a big difference. It can take hours of dialog to get on the same page regarding what's going on. Of course, pictures help a lot.

15. Terryala

Terryala Rest in Peace

LOL I know I did. Didn't know that you had different Editors for the Forums. Hope I read that right.Interesting topic. Wonder how many other people know about that.

This might be a good one to pin or whatever.

Grand Dad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.