Under the hood of I2P, the Tor alternative that reloaded Silk Road

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by lotuseclat79, Jan 14, 2015.

1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

2. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

Nice read. I have never used I2P but it sounds like its coming along. Scalability in the short run is my biggest concern. Every project starts and grows from smaller to larger. I hope this one does continue to grow. I am watching it!!

3. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

My issue with mostly P2P networks is that local observers can see what peers you connect to. If everyone were in the swarm, that wouldn't be an issue. But I2P is far too small. If you run an I2P node, you stand out from your neighbors, even more than running a Tor client (maybe about the same as running a Tor router). There aren't many I2P exit nodes, it's true. I2P nodes can exit to the Internet by peering to Tor.

Also, useful I2P nodes must be discoverable by other nodes. That is, they must be listening on some public port, forwarded through your router, or through any VPN service that you're using. And so you must use VPN services that allow port forwarding. However, if you use nested VPN chains, only the innermost/final VPN needs an open port.

4. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

I understand that, but my point was that "crowding" is where security comes from. e.g. if every single user was on TOR the anonymity would be much better in a sense. In the same way when I select a vpn in my chain I try to look for servers with at least 125 users and 150 is better.

I2P may get the size needed over time and create a "swarm" (your word).

5. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Yes, I totally agree. It's the getting from here to there that's tough.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.