Undelete and Delete Utilities

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by adrianyujs, Sep 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adrianyujs

adrianyujs Registered Member

Hi! Here I need to know what recovery and "secure erase" software is better.

I just discovered Active@ Undelete is the better, in my opinion:) It can search entire disk and list the file that has been deleted, then we can choose the file to recover. Thanks Active@, because one year ago, I catch picture and movies in my SD Card, then I deleted the entire file. Then I never use the SD Card about one year, and then I can recover the entire file using Active@ Undelete.

Here I also need to discuss "Secure Erase", which means after a file deleted, and then it’s very hard to recoverable. I just discovered that O&O SafeErase offer 5 method of erase technique, that is:-

Highest Security (35 Cycles)

The method that offers the highest level of security is based on a process developed by Peter Gutmann and presented in his article 'Secure Deletion of Data from Magnetic and Solid-State Memory'. In this method, deleted data are overwritten by a series of 35 different deletion cycles that are executed in a random order.

High Security (7 Cycles)

The method for high security is based on the January 1995 'National Industrial Security Program Operating Manual' by the DoD. In this seven cycle variation (DoD 5220.22-M ECE), data is first overwritten three times with DoD 5220.22-M (E) Standards, then with a specific random value, and finally once again with DoD 5220.22-M (E).

Moderate Security (6 Cycles)

This method for moderate security conforms to the standards of the German BSI as described in the 'BSI IT Baseline Protection Manual'. Data are overwritten with a random value and then with this values compliment. This procedure is completed with new random values three times.

Low Security (3 Cycles)

The method for low security but for high execution speed is based on the January 1995 'National Industry Security Program Operating Manual' from the DoD (US DoD 5220.22-M). The variation (DoD 5220.22-M E) offers 3 cycles in which the data are overwritten with first a set value, then its compliment, and then a random value.

Lowest Security (1 Cycle)

The fifth method is the fastest but offers the most limited security against unwanted data restoration. Here the data are overwritten with only a single random value in one cycle.

Beside this, O&O SafeErase also can erase file and drive, it also have right-click function.

So, I think O&O SafeErase is best:)

Does anyone know other best software to recover file and destroy file? Feel free to introduce best recover file and file or disk destroyer utilities. DOS based utilities is more welcomed.

2. adrianyujs

Hello, anyone, please feel free to introduce program that not include in this forums. Please!!!

3. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

A few recovery apps mentioned here .....and good free eraser here

4. adrianyujs

Any other newer program??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.