UNCONSCIONABLE

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jalexartis, Nov 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jalexartis

jalexartis Registered Member

The information below has been sent to Acronis Technical Support and Acronis Sales. I'd rather have the product work as described--product merchantability, than receive a refund. It is unbelievable that this company continues to sell the product without a warning, in the sales area of their web site, that the product may or will not work with certain computers--unconscionable, particularly, given the documentation here of a serious problem. Creating an unrecoverable image is worthless for those buyers who cannot do so.

Post #1
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=56358

Post #2
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=56407

Post #3
    Below:

I created a boot CD. On boot, the message “Starting Acronis Loader” displays and the initial menu options display shows. Selecting either Full Version or Safe Version results in the computer hanging at the next screen. In preparing the system to start again, with the USB CD/DVD and USB keyboard disconnected, I noted this message on the screen “error loading EXE.” I also booted from the CD where I entered “quiet acpi=off noapic” after pressing the F11 key following the “Starting Acronis Loader” message. The computer still hangs.

Although Acronis True Image seems to be an effective tool for creating an image of the HDD, it is worthless because I am unable to confirm the image is usable. I am unable to start up using the Recovery Manager, the floppy boot, or the CD/DVD ROM boot with my Motion Computing M1400. This is disappointing. Where is the product merchantability?

After discovering the Recovery Manager would hang, I joined your forum only to learn the problems I am having a known [documented problems]. It is unconscionable that you sell this product without a warning that it either will not, or may not work, with a tablet PC, particularly with the issue having been documented for over 7 months. Your representative has stated in his responses to others that you do not specifically support the tablet PC. Why do you not post that in the sales area of your web site? As I read your forum, you are getting negative publicity regarding this problem. From my perspective, it is deserved.

I have had no response from your representative to either of my two posts on your forum. You leave me with the impression that you do not care. I am a technician with 24 years of computing experience. I want this to work, but cannot afford to spend much more time in solving your problem.

I have two simple questions:
    1) Is there a solution to this problem?
    2) If so, what is the solution?

If there is no solution, of course a refund of my $79.00 purchase price is appropriate. I note from you forum many customers have sought a refund. I trust the stats relating thereto indicates to management that there is a serious problem with this product. I buy lots of software. I can say Acronis True Image Corporate Workstation (build 912) fits in a unique category.

I await your reply.

You may reach me telephonically at XXX-XXX-XXXX.

I am,

jalexartis

Last edited: Dec 3, 2004
  2. al92lt1

al92lt1 Registered Member

I have a suggestion for you. I tried to email you, but you are set not to receive emails. My posts on this forum are usually deleted, so I can't post my suggestions here.

3. jalexartis

I welcome all e-mail replies. Sorry, if was off [by default no less].

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I can't speak to the product issue, but regarding the sending of private communications here... Actually, what you need to use is the forum's "Send a private message to..." feature (ie. a "PM"), not the "Send a message via email to..." because the "member to member" email interface has been fully disabled.

Even if a member enables "Display Email" in their member profile, the forum software still will not show it, nor will it allow the sending of email via the forum's web form interface. It's restricted because in the past we've had too many people complain that their email addresses were either visible or accessible without their permission, even though they had to specifically choose to enable it for that to be the case. So, we chose to disable all member to member email features in the forum software to prevent such mistakes or unwanted communications. However, the private message function is enabled by default for all members.

5. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

The last two posts made to this thread have been removed...

One was a nasty reply, posted by an anomymous guest, that blamed the user for the problems they were having, and it failed to provide any constructive help or recommendations. The second reply was from a member [not the author of this thread] that took the bait and replied negatively back at that guest's statements.

People, don't be fooled by those who troll forums and want to do nothing more than make you argue with them while they sit back and laugh about it.

"On topic" replies here are those regarding the problem this person is having with the product, and not arguments about whether you like the product, the forum, or the guests and members here.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jalexartis,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image Corparate Workstation (http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/ATICW/).

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

The thing is that Acronis bootable rescue media (the full version) is based on Linux and requires linux drivers to work with all hardware devices. Our Development Team constantly updates these drivers and adds the drivers for new devices as soon as possible. The only way to diagnose and resolve this issue is to contact support@acronis.com and send the diagnostic information described here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317

Thank you.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2004
  7. jalexartis

Mr. Andrew Berezovsky thanks you for the reply.

I did as you suggested above on 11/29, the date of creation of this thread.
    My e-mail to your technical support included the diagnostic information described in https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317 .
    I provided a complete package.

I was contacted 11/30 [within the 48 hours by a support representative]. The matters has been referred to the development group for their assistance. To this point the matter remains open. Your suggestion that it is a Linux problem comes closer to what I think the problem is than anything received thus far.

Following is the dialog between support and me:
    Anyway, the effort to resolve continues. It appears this problem is not documented in support’s knowledge base and that I am being asked to try various things that have not been tested. I have some knowledge of software and computers. It seems to me that solution [if possible] to this would be taking a different path, particularly given the earlier post on this forum.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2004
  8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jalexartis,

I have contacted Marian Fadeeva and she said that they are working on your problem with our linux developer. Please let them to guide you through the diagnostics.

Thank you for the cooperation.

9. jalexartis

PROGRESS!

I was asked download the ISO (the ISO file is for ATI8 standard version) image archive from: http://www.acronis.com/files/support/ISO/TrueImage8.0_na_s_e.iso;
    burn a rescue disc with it; and let Acronis know if the problem I have been having still occurs.

I made a mistake in creating the rescue disk. Having corrected that mistake based on Acronis Support Guidance, I was able to boot using my TPC USB CD-ROM Drive. I now have access to the Acronis Recovery manager loaded from the CD-ROM.

Since the test worked on my TPC, Acronis will now create another ISO for my Acronis True Image Corporate Workstation. Then, I will have to make my HDD bootable with the files versus booting with the CD-ROM drive.

It has been a week of effort. Progress is being made. Hopefully, there are other beneficiaries to this progress. I trust whatever the problem, it is corrected in the application that one purchases; and if not, that the buyer be warned of possible incompatibilities.

When the problem if ultimately resolved, I will post the resolution I receive from Acronis.

Thanks to all who have assisted.

I do believe it is better to work with a problem to achieve resolution rather than just get a refund. Maybe that is the technician in me…

10. mareke

mareke Registered Member

'I made a mistake in creating the rescue disk.'

Sounds like you did something like I did. I was angrily complaining about Acronis not working and I was using rescue discs I had burnt with earlier versions of Acronis thinking that a Rescue Disc is a Rescue Disc and they were all the same. When I burnt a disc with the latest version of Acronis, the one I paid for, and was currently using, all my problems dissappeared and my previous anger made me feel a bit embarrassed as the problems I encountered were to some extent my fault.

Mind you I had used earlier Rescue Discs with slightly earlier versions of Acronis and they were the right discs for the version I was using at the time and Acronis didn't work so I'm not taking all the blame but I have learnt to temper my anger as I know from experience that problems can be due to the user making silly mistakes like the one I did. I worked with some of the people on the forum and my problems were solved and I'm glad to see your problems are being resolved.

11. jalexartis

Mareke,

No sir, I'm sorry, you misunderstood my post. All the problems I reported that I have with the ATI8 Corporate Workstation still exist and do not work as reported. That is why I am working with technical support to resolve those problems.

The first real step to solution by Acronis was to create a bootable CD from the ISO of the ATI8 Standard Edition which Acronis provided. As is posted, technical support said, if their standard edition ISO worked, they would develop an ISO for the ATI8 Corporate Workstation. Even if it works, there are other software functions that have to be checked out.

So nothing has changed. All that I stated before remains factual. There is a problem when a product is sold to perform a certain function and it does not and there is no warning to the buyer that the product may not work as described with certain computers and there is knowledge that there is a problem. The legal term is "Merchantability."

There is no anger on my part. I test as thorough as I can. I simply state the facts as I find them, then I work toward a solution. Along the way I may make mistakes. If I do, I state them. I do not try to hide them as if I'm perfect. I am not. Acronis and I are working toward a solution.

I trust we [all of us] can all work together to solve each others problems. I find this forum a bit different than other forums I participate in or read.

Anyway, the best to you.

12. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Good post Jalexartis, well said and a good position you take and have taken.

All the best.

Cheers :D

13. jalexartis

Thank you Blackspear.

I trust we will arrive at a solution that will benefit others who are having, or have had, the problems I have listed. I find it disappointing that so many seem to have similar problems.

Thanks again. You are kind.

Jim Artis

14. jalexartis

December 3, 2004, I posted that there had been some progress. Well this post is to inform the reader there has been other progress [and some ISSUES].

I received a second ISO that new allows me to boot using a CD-ROM. I am unable to do anything with an image file, given this test CD. It does not give me the functionality for which the product was sold. From my view Acronis continues to act in a UNCONSCIONABLE manner. I purchased the product 11/26/2004. I cannot yet use it. Yes, I can ask for a refund. I am trying to do my part to solve a problem for many. I ask that you judge from the dialog that follows weather Acronis is acting in a proper manner.

Following is recent dialog between Acronis and jalexartis.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    MY REPLY TO ACRONIS
    Good Morning ******

As stated in my last e-mail, I downloaded the ISO file.
    I have burned a CD, booted from it, selected F11, and removed quite.
    There's over 90 lines of output, much too much to capture the first 5-10 lines of output. Ii seems this ISO allows proper functionality.
    I do not have an image file to test. [When I CD boot, may 2nd USB port is used by the keyboard]

Are we at the point where my ATI8 CWS is updated and I test in my TPC environment. I am ready for that. I await the next instruction..

Thanks!
    FROM ACRONIS TO ME
    Good Morning James,

Please clarify does this version of Acronis True Image Corporate Workstation works for you? Its not clear from your letter.
    If it does we dont need further investigarion.
    MY REPLY TO ACRONIS
    Your question above really confuses me.

You asked the following:

Could you please download the ISO image archive below, burn a rescue disc with it and let us know whether the same problem occurs? This ISO file is for Acronis True Image 8.0 standard version but if it works on your machine we`ll create you the same CD for your Acronis True Image Corporate Workstation.

The IOS did not work.

You said you would refer that information to your developers. Then you asked me to

Please download and burn a CD the an second ISO file of Acronis True Image Corporate Workstation file and to inform you if the problem does remain.

Thus, my email this morning.

MY UNDERSTANDING WAS AFTER THE TESTING OF THE ISO, YOUR DEVELOPERS WOULD CREATE A NEW INSTALL CD FOR THE $79.00 PRODUCT I PURCHASED AND THAT I WOULD HAVE TO INSTALL IT, THEN TEST TO SEE IF ALL THE FUNCTIONALITY OF THE PROGRAM WORKS CORRECTLY. My objective is to boot from an external HDD if that is possible and restore the Image file form there. I have stated this in my correspondence.

I did not understand that if the last IOS gave no errors, it is my reinstall the ATI8CWS application for me to install and that the support is case is ready to be closed. Believe me, I wish it was finished. HOW DO I GET THE ORIGINAL PRODUCT TO WORK PROPERLY?
    It appears I totally misunderstood you.

My answer to your question above is NO. I have not tested that because of the protocol I thought I was following.

I ask that you please clarify.
    FROM ACRONIS TO ME
    Hello James,

I got you problem.
    Your problem will be fixed in the next build of Acronis True Image Corporate Workstation. Our developers are still working under creation of this new build so we dont have an exact date of the release. Now we suggest you to use the last created bootable rescure CD and wait for the release of a new build.
    MY REPLY TO ACRONIS
    If I understand correctly, my problem statement from my last e-mail is understood.

Further, since the product I purchased does not work as advertised and sold [purchased 11/26/2004], you now want me to use a make-shift solution that does not give full program functionality, and then wait for the next build [with an unknown release date] of Acronis True Image Corporate Workstation. Do I have this correct? There is something about this that is so different from other companies that I buy from. I CANNOT USE THE PRODUCT I PURCHASED.

15. Adam Spicar

Adam Spicar Guest

If you still cannot use the program simply ask for a refund. Then wait for the next release and try it again. You might be pleasantly surprised. If not - there is always competition.

And BTW - get yourself a USB hub so that you can have more USB devices connected to the computer at once($10 thing).

Good Luck!

adam

16. jalexartis

Thanks Adam, I understand my options. The point is not just getting my money back. It is product merchantability. Actually, I have several USB hubs. That also is not the point. As a computer technician, I am trying to design a Disaster Recovery System for Tablet PC users where they can recover the TPC on the road with just a HHD [and regretably USB keyboard]. It is somewhat amazing how few people want to solve a problem. The next build may very well work. It may do so because of trials and tribulations such as this. For your information, I have also been working this issue with Acronis Management in Reston, VA. From my perspective, there are positive actions occuring on their part. I am trying to work the bigger picture as it relates to product use for all. I post here so the consumer ay be aware of my experences and efforts. Your thoughts add to the mix. Again, THANKS!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.