UNC file target from Management Console

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mikeblas, Mar 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi,

I've discovered the same problems with TE 8.1 build 941 Evaluation-German. Then I've tried to log on with my UPN (user principal name, i.e. someone@mydomain.de) and it works fine. I'm logging on from a W2K server to access another W2K server with the management console and I'm getting validated by an W2K3 DC.

But I have another problem! After connecting to the source server (this one which should be backuped) with the management console I've tried to make an image and storing this on my HP Tape Ultrium drive (localy connected at my logon server). But I can't select it, rather find it.

Pardon my English.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Stephan,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image Enterprise Server (http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/ATIESWin/).

Could you please tell whether you are able to store the image onto tape drive if you create the image locally without using Acronis True Image Management Console?

Please note that if you create the image using Acronis True Image Management Console the operations are performed by the remote computer rather than by the local one. It means that you are able to store the image on the removable media connected to the remote computer to which you are connecting.

If you wish to store the image on the tape drive plugged to the local computer you may store the image on the local hard drive first and then copy it to tape drive.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. TurboTad

TurboTad Registered Member

Well - I'm still battling this. o_O Apparently the action of backing up an image across a UNC path is not supported, but it does work some of the time anyhow.

Talked to support today, and there's hope this will be solved in the next build.

The workaround I've gotten to work approximately 40% of the time is to install the full TrueImage Enterprise on each one of the machines being backed up, and then have that machine specify a central UNC path location for where the files are going to be saved to.

I then create a user on both the machine being backed up and the machine with the storage and sync these accounts. I then change the service login on both the TrueImage scheduler service and agent service to use that new login. I then restart services, cross my fingers, and 40% of the time this works.

Anyone have better ideas?

--tad

4. shoek

shoek Registered Member

I also have this problem, although build 941 improved things somewhat. In my situation, I'm using TI8-CorpWork to backup 5 machines. I install the agent on the machines and use the management console to schedule tasks on each machine. In doing so, I see my mapped drive letters, but cannot expand them. I can go into Computers Near Me, find the server and the share, but then I'm asked to login when I expand the share. I set the task up just fine, but when I later go to edit it, I get the "This task is corrupt" message because it can't find the UNC path specified.

The most frustrating thing to me is that this worked great in earlier builds (928 and earlier)... I could backup to the mapped drive letter or the UNC, and I didn't have to specify login credentials all the time.

Ilya... is this still an open issue for your devs? When it the next build expected, and will it contain further improvements to this issue?

5. TurboTad

TurboTad Registered Member

I was told this is still an open issue, and should be further battled in the next build.

Through massaging the permissions and installing the full product on every server that I'm backing up, I've gotten this to work on all but one of my machines. Seems like the successful action is to:

1. Install the full Enterprise version on the NT4 machine being backed up.
    2. Reboot
    3. Create an account on both the machine being backed up and the machine which will be storing the images and give this FULL access (i.e., act as part of the operating system, access this computer from a network, log on as a service, etc)
    4. Net Use to the share from the machine being backed up, using these credentials.
    5. Start up the Enterprise product, and begin the copy from there, using the mapped network drive to copy to.

This has worked so far with most of my machines, but there's still some that barf on the credentials - even when the credentials are the same exact ones that worked well with all the others. Odd.

--tad

6. ben4acronis

ben4acronis Registered Member

Is now the issue fixed? I don't want to install the full Acronis True Image Workstation on each client.

7. n30

n30 Registered Member

I also have the same issue trying to create a backup in Linux. o_O

Here's the error:

The file name, location or format "smb://sqgw2/samba/wbgw3.tib" is not valid.
    Please type the file name or location in the correct format.

...any ideas?

8. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Check this post by Ian's dad:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=435428&postcount=5

9. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

10. mikeblas

mikeblas Registered Member

My FQDN is eleven characters long.

I have zero authentication problems on my network, other than with Acronis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.