Unbootable media: experiences from the pond scum levels.

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Longboard, Apr 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Trusty older Lenovo t61 7664-A18, really good kit. Been great for ` 7 years.
    XPSP3OEM, no floppy.
    Suddenly shutting down and reboot pops up BSOD: "unbootable media". Eeek.
    Reboot loop: goes nowhere.
    No modes booted
    Last known good...pfft

Ok maybe time is up

Google, google: Disc corrupted, HDD controller busted, disc 'broken"... "write off" ... etc
    Suggestions re XP recovery console to try and read disc and salvage data, or run chkdsk.
    - BootCDs
    - Put disc in freezer etc etc

Go to 'tool box":
    Seagate tools: disc passed.
    Looking like corrupted files.
    So then boot recovery console off spare XP CD: Unreadable disc. !!

OK, so, a bit of a mini project now...bit late in the day, so just a couple of runs at recovery or diagnosis with tools at hand or readily available.

Try vanilla Hirens CD, MiniXp: loaded but screen res all wrong could not see icons probably my fault with something, not willing to spend a day getting drivers etc. Hirens not as simple as it looks.
    Not really willing to pfaff with Barts PE, or, UBCD, but I likely will now.

KnoppixCD: unreadable disc : Wow: that never happened before.
    Multiple listings for corrupt blocks etc

Last shot: took HD out of laptop ( the Lenovo Lappies have really good access to relevant HW bits. )
    Mounted in USB chassis to desktop: DesktopXP could see the disc after a bit of jiggling with computer mgt. Could see both partitions: C drive and Lenovo recovery.
    Plain chkdsk could not complete: unreadable data
    Ran chkdsk options >> then all data visible and data files intact AFAICS.
    Copied out what I needed.

Replaced HD, rebooted lappie: working !!

how about dat.

Get messages about Lenovo service apps having problems but otherwise looks ok.

Now of course disc prolly slightly damaged: decision re replacing disc: would make a really nice linux box for the kids, or go for some new bits with extra Ram and try W7.
    W7 upgrade might be a step to far for this laptop.

Likely upgrading all boxes soon: HW and W7: Reminder to self: make recovery disc.

Just a little story.
    regards.

2. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Company I used to work for wasted lots of money on a contractor to fix a broken server that would not boot (because at the time I was not very experienced with server hardware), towards the end of the week the server was in our office and one lunchtime I thought to unplug and replug the raid controller and it booted up fine afterwards.

My T61 is my personal laptop that gets used daily - Max out the ram to 4GB ram, put a nice fast HDD in (not worth putting an SSD IMHO) and it will do great with Win7 (Lenovo released drivers and supported Win7 on the T61).

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  3. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  4. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.