Unbootable media: experiences from the pond scum levels.

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Longboard, Apr 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Trusty older Lenovo t61 7664-A18, really good kit. Been great for ` 7 years.
    XPSP3OEM, no floppy.
    Suddenly shutting down and reboot pops up BSOD: "unbootable media". Eeek.
    Reboot loop: goes nowhere.
    No modes booted
    Last known good...pfft

Ok maybe time is up

Google, google: Disc corrupted, HDD controller busted, disc 'broken"... "write off" ... etc
    Suggestions re XP recovery console to try and read disc and salvage data, or run chkdsk.
    - BootCDs
    - Put disc in freezer etc etc

Go to 'tool box":
    Seagate tools: disc passed.
    Looking like corrupted files.
    So then boot recovery console off spare XP CD: Unreadable disc. !!

OK, so, a bit of a mini project now...bit late in the day, so just a couple of runs at recovery or diagnosis with tools at hand or readily available.

Try vanilla Hirens CD, MiniXp: loaded but screen res all wrong could not see icons probably my fault with something, not willing to spend a day getting drivers etc. Hirens not as simple as it looks.
    Not really willing to pfaff with Barts PE, or, UBCD, but I likely will now.

KnoppixCD: unreadable disc : Wow: that never happened before.
    Multiple listings for corrupt blocks etc

Last shot: took HD out of laptop ( the Lenovo Lappies have really good access to relevant HW bits. )
    Mounted in USB chassis to desktop: DesktopXP could see the disc after a bit of jiggling with computer mgt. Could see both partitions: C drive and Lenovo recovery.
    Plain chkdsk could not complete: unreadable data
    Ran chkdsk options >> then all data visible and data files intact AFAICS.
    Copied out what I needed.

Replaced HD, rebooted lappie: working !!

how about dat.

Get messages about Lenovo service apps having problems but otherwise looks ok.

Now of course disc prolly slightly damaged: decision re replacing disc: would make a really nice linux box for the kids, or go for some new bits with extra Ram and try W7.
    W7 upgrade might be a step to far for this laptop.

Likely upgrading all boxes soon: HW and W7: Reminder to self: make recovery disc.

Just a little story.
    regards.

2. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Company I used to work for wasted lots of money on a contractor to fix a broken server that would not boot (because at the time I was not very experienced with server hardware), towards the end of the week the server was in our office and one lunchtime I thought to unplug and replug the raid controller and it booted up fine afterwards.

My T61 is my personal laptop that gets used daily - Max out the ram to 4GB ram, put a nice fast HDD in (not worth putting an SSD IMHO) and it will do great with Win7 (Lenovo released drivers and supported Win7 on the T61).

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  3. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  4. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.