unagiuninst.exe

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Wing Fat, Dec 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wing Fat

Wing Fat Registered Member

I ran a full scan of my new computer. Everything looked pretty good except for the following message:

C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\unagiuninst.exe >> NSIS - bad archive

If I open that folder there's nothing in there (I have "show hidden/system files" turned on).

If I do a Web search for unagiuninst.exe I get a few hits indicating it might be a trojan, but nothing really definitive. I don't know how I could have gotten a trojan, this is a brand new computer (an HP netbook), I haven't done anything with it yet other than install FireFox. I haven't visited any questionable websites (Yahoo and Amazon are the only ones I went to thus far), I haven't even checked e-mail with it.

Is this a false positive? Why can't I see this file in the Downloaded Program Files folder?

2. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

Try to check it via Total Commander.

3. Wing Fat

Wing Fat Registered Member

I managed to see the file using the Windows command line. I also found another file hiding in the directory called install.log which, when opened, shows the "Unagi Install" log.

After some further Web searching I discovered that "Unagi" is a media player included with AIM. The computer had AIM installed on it out of the box, but I uninstalled it (along with some other bloatware) shortly after getting it running. I think this unagiuninst.exe is a remnant that just didn't get deleted and not malware.

I'm going to keep a copy of it just in case but I think this is nothing to worry about. It's just strange that I couldn't find anything definitive on it by searching Google.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.