unagiuninst.exe

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Wing Fat, Dec 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wing Fat

Wing Fat Registered Member

I ran a full scan of my new computer. Everything looked pretty good except for the following message:

C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\unagiuninst.exe >> NSIS - bad archive

If I open that folder there's nothing in there (I have "show hidden/system files" turned on).

If I do a Web search for unagiuninst.exe I get a few hits indicating it might be a trojan, but nothing really definitive. I don't know how I could have gotten a trojan, this is a brand new computer (an HP netbook), I haven't done anything with it yet other than install FireFox. I haven't visited any questionable websites (Yahoo and Amazon are the only ones I went to thus far), I haven't even checked e-mail with it.

Is this a false positive? Why can't I see this file in the Downloaded Program Files folder?

2. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

Try to check it via Total Commander.

3. Wing Fat

Wing Fat Registered Member

I managed to see the file using the Windows command line. I also found another file hiding in the directory called install.log which, when opened, shows the "Unagi Install" log.

After some further Web searching I discovered that "Unagi" is a media player included with AIM. The computer had AIM installed on it out of the box, but I uninstalled it (along with some other bloatware) shortly after getting it running. I think this unagiuninst.exe is a remnant that just didn't get deleted and not malware.

I'm going to keep a copy of it just in case but I think this is nothing to worry about. It's just strange that I couldn't find anything definitive on it by searching Google.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.