Unable to Write Script File?!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Diddles, Apr 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diddles

Diddles Guest

I have atwo Maxtor 250 Gig hard drives. One is newly setup with Win XP Professional with all updates, the other is formatted and ready for cloning. Every time I try to clone using True Image 8 (either build 763 or 826) I get the message "Unable to write script file" as soon as I click "PROCEED" after the reboot message.
    I have succesfully cloned hard drives with build 763 before with no problems.

What is this "unable to write script file" stuff?

2. jfsmith1222

jfsmith1222 Guest

I am having exactly the same problem with a newly installed Western Digital WD2500JB 250 Gig hard drive. I am trying to clone boot drive to this new larger hard drive and get the same "Unable to write Script" every time.

What is the problem -- Tech Support, any answers?

3. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Diddles

It does not need to be fommated, it will be deleted anyway.

Are you trying to do this from [in] Windows, if yes, Don't.

Use the BootDisk CD or Floppys.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

4. Diddles

Diddles Guest

Good news and bad news.

Good news: I was able to successfully clone the HD from the boot disk.

Bad news: Now Windows will not boot at all. It is stuck in a loop! It gets to the slash screen and the next thing I see is a blue screen of death which says "Autochk program not found - Skipping Auto Check" the system then reboots and does the same thing over, and over, and over....

I have shut it off but it just continues after turn the power back on and trying to boot.

Hope I don't have to set this whole dirve up again for the fourth time.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

6. Diddles

Diddles Guest

Update

OK. I shut the pc down and disconnected the slave drive and Windows now boots to the primary.

I got into Windows and got a "system settings change message" which says: "windows has finished installing new devices. The software that supports your device requires that you restart your computer before the new settings will take effect. Do you want to restart your computer now?"

I will now shut Windows down, reconnect the slave drive and see what happens....

And the verdict is..... (drum roll please).....

Windows boots and recognizes the cloned drive AND all SEEMS to be well!

I hope this helps someone out there so they don't have to go through what I just did.

As for error report, Tech Support, it may no longer be possible if it ever was since I was not able to boot anyway. (Unless it could be done from the Acronis boot disk, I am new at this.)
    However, now that I am in Windows I will see what reports I have available.

Thanks for your help.

7. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Re: Update

I have not used cloning, only imaging a whole drive, but I get the exact same message when booting from a restored image for the first time.

My guess is, that Windows sees the disk as "a new device" because the restored disk gets a new disk-ID everytime TI creates the partition structure. And with a new ID, the information Windows have about the partitions in the registry do match => A new device is discovered.

Does not seem to have any ill effects though.

Or something like that.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.