Unable to update virus signature database :(

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by xMarkx, Nov 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

I'm using Windows XP Home Edition SP3 (32-bit) and ESET NOD32 Antivirus 3.0.684.0. I have yesterday's virus signature database update 4616 (20091117) but the latest is from today 4620 (2009111:cool:.

I noticed that it didn't update automatically today at computer bootup like it has been doing since I purchased EAV for this computer months ago. I tried a manual update but it said that I already had the latest virus signature database update. I cleared the update cache and rebooted the computer and tried again but no change. I used to have this problem occasionally with the trial version, but since I bought EAV it's been fine. Keeps saying Update progress: 0kb/0kb (or 2kb/2kb); File name: update.ver.

Anyone else having problems updating purchased versions of NOD32? Any solutions?

Thanks,

Mark

2. Carbonyl

Carbonyl Registered Member

Can you get a response if you ping u20.eset.com? Can you access www.eset.com via the web? If not something might be blocking your net access.

Alternatively, it could be a server-side issue. The bevy of false-positives that the latest definitions seem to be causing might've prompted ESET to temporarily suspend updates.

3. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

Thanks for your fast reply. I can access eset.com in Internet Explorer just fine. Kind of a stupid question, but how do you ping? Do I just type "ping u20.eset.com" in cmd? Is it possible for a moderator to confirm that updates have been stalled temporarily because I don't see a thread on the forum or on ESET's website about it.

Thanks,

Mark

4. Carbonyl

Yup, you got it!

5. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

Thanks again for your fast reply. I'm not sure what the results of the ping test mean, but it says that 4 packets were sent and received, and 0 were lost. Have you been able to update okay? I tried again and it still doesn't work.

Thanks,

Mark.

6. Carbonyl

Not a problem. I was in this boat a few days ago, so I can sympathize. Heck, I might be in it right now, but I haven't checked my NOD computer yet!

Those four packets were basically sent to the u20.eset.com update servers, and then bounced back as replies to you. This means that (since no packets were lost) you can communicate with the servers just fine.

If I were you, I'd wait it out. My money's on ESET having suspended the latest update because of False Positives - But I'm perhaps wrong about this.

If you're not getting updates in a few hours, or tomorrow, it might be time to start worrying.

EDIT: New Definitions were just released as I typed this message! Try updating again, and see if things work out.

7. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

I got it to update now! :) I guess you're right they must have stopped delivering updates until they fixed the fp issue from the previous update. Seems to be working fine now, hope it stays that way.

Thanks for your help, :thumb:

Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.