Unable to update SpywareGuard

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by BC02114, Mar 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BC02114

BC02114 Registered Member

I've just downloaded SpywareGuard 2.2, but have been unable to get the latest definitions update (which I believe should be from January 2004). When I try to use the "live update" button, I get an error message which reads: "There was an error downloading updates. The latest working definitions have been loaded from backups." The current definitions file on my program are dated 08/30/03. I've tried restarting my computer (as suggested in other threads I've read) and even reinstalling the program, but I am still unable to access the updates server. Does anyone have a suggested fix? Thanks.

2. MushfiQ

MushfiQ Registered Member

umm...are u behind a firewall? dont think the update server is down!

3. intransit

intransit Registered Member

Take a look at the "Error Connecting" thread - Chew seems to have found a good solution, at least if you are connecting through a corporate proxy server.

4. Rosie

Rosie Registered Member

Hi

I think that the thread that you are referring to is for SpywareBlaster not SpywareGuard.

Regards

ROSIE

5. BC02114

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. I'm not connecting through a corporate proxy server; I'm on a simple home system (dial-up). I am, however, using Trend Micro Internet Security 2004 with an active firewall. Do you think I need to disable or somehow reconfigure the firewall while updating SpywareGuard?? I've tried the "live update" on SpywareGuard several times over the past three days without any luck. I am able to update all of my other software (e.g., Trend Micro, Firefox, Spyware Blaster, Ad-Aware, Spybot, etc.) without any problems. But it's been really frustrating trying to figure out what's messing up the SpywareGuard updates. Any other thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

6. BC02114

After checking out some more of the threads in this forum, I found the solution to my problem with updating SpywareGuard. If anyone else using dial-up is having an issue with the live updates, check out the thread at:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=23885

Apparently, my ISP's dial-up accelerator was cause of my problem. As suggested in the thread, try disabling the accelerator before performing the automated live updates. This worked for me; the definitions from 1/22/04 are now loaded on my system. Otherwise, the thread also has instructions on how to perform a manual update.

Thanks again to those who posted replies for their advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.