Unable to successfully create a backup under Windows

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by EnGenie, Mar 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EnGenie

EnGenie Registered Member

I just bought a Freecom ToughDrive Pro USB2 drive that came with True Image 8 OEM.
    Rather than install TI 8, I bought an upgrade to TI Home 10 after reading favourable reviews of it in PC Pro magazine.

I have tried several times to create a backup of my most important data folders under Windows XP and it has failed every time.

The 1st time the backup appeared to be successful but failed verification.
    The error was "The file is corrupted. (0x4000D) Tag = 0xC847B314771C5F00"

The 2nd time TI hung part way through the backup operation. It claimed to be backing up the same folder (consisting of only a few files) for several hours. I cancelled the backup.

The 3rd time TI crashed with an exception part way through the backup operation.

The 4th time TI froze part way through the backup. The cancel button would not terminate the operation. I waited about 20 minutes.
    I had to terminate the True Image process and service.

After a reboot I tried for a 5th time. The backup appeared to be successful, but the verification failed with the error "The file is corrupted. (0x4000D) Tag = 0xC847B314771C5F00"

I have tried reading and writing to the USB drive independently of TI and all seems OK.

I can not understand how the magazine can give it a top rating if this is typical of its performance. My first impression is that it is one of the most buggy pieces of software I have ever used.

I am using the latest build of TI 10 Home (4942) on XP Pro SP2.

Any suggestions on how I can get it to work?

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

True Image is very picky with the hardware combinations it sees. For backing up your data folders, I wouldn't use TI at all. Just copy the folders using Windows Explorer. But if you have a specific reason for wanting to use TI for this, make the bootable CD media and use that instead for the procedure.

3. EnGenie

Sounds like a good idea.

To eliminate the USB drive from the equation I tried creating a backup file on another partition.
    The computer blue screened with a DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error in srv.sys (Microsoft server driver).

There are easier methods of backing up just data folders, but am I going to have the same problems if I create an image of one or all of my partitions?

I tried the folder backup as a fairly quick test. Also it is more difficult to verify the backup just by copying the files.

My motherboard chipset is nVidia nForce2.

Are there any known incompatibilities with this chipset?

I'll try the bootable media (recovery CD) and if that doesn't work I'll try to make a Bart PE CD with TI.

4. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Do not rely on the fact that the verify process is good. Many have reported getting a good verification but when it came time to restore they had problems. When you just copy files using Windows there is no need to verify. I've never had a simple Windows Explorer copy turn out to be bad.
    As for whether you will have a similar problem with other features of True Image, only by trying them you will find out.
    I hope the bootable CD works for you.
    BTW, one thing that makes TI stumble is if you have InCD or any packet writing software running. Likewise having GoBack is a no-no.

5. MTX

MTX Registered Member

I have 2 external enclosure.

My first enclosure (NEC chipset) can backup & recover in Windows.

My second enclosure (Genesys chipset) can backup but cannot recover in Windows.

6. EnGenie

I have Nero installed but not InCD or any other packet writing software.
    I removed InCD before installing TI because it was such a resource hog. It used 10 to 20% CPU while just idle (no CD in drive).

I have Raxco Perfectdisk defragmenter installed but not running.

I also have Slysoft AnyDVD installed but not running.

My C drive is an the nForce2 IDE controller but my other drive is on a Promise 376 SATA controller (on the motherboard).
    Are there any known incompatibilities with this chipset and TI?

7. EnGenie

I tried backing up the same files using the Recovery CD and it worked fine. The verification was successful.

It took a long time (about 4 hours), but maybe that's normal? Is there a way to increase the screen resolution when booting from the CD?

Is backing up using the Recovery CD geneally slower than under Windows or faster?

Maybe there's a problem or incompatibility with one of the Windows drivers or maybe TI itself under Windows?

8. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Yes the Linux rescue cd is generally slower than than under windows because the Linux drivers are not optimized. Build a BartPE CD which uses windows drivers Begginer's Guide to Creating a BartPE CD and one of Mustang's plugins Mustang's BartPE Plugins.

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello EnGenie,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

The screen resolution of the bootable CD is fixed.
    Please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, unpack the archive and install unpacked MSI package.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

- Replace C:\WINDOWS\system32\snapapi.dll with the one from the downloaded SnapAPI archive;
    - Reproduce the issue and collect the log file without closing any application windows (including the error message windows if there are any). The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

10. EnGenie

Thanks Marat.

I have downloaded the latest Acronis drivers and SnapAPI.dll and installed them.
    I have sent the log files, Acronis report and Windows system information to Acronis as requested.

I tried twice more to create a backup using True Image 10 under Windows.

The 1st attempt resulted in a blue screen Stop 0x0000008E in win32k.sys at address 0xBF82785B (base address 0xBF800000).

The 2nd attempt resulted in a blue screen DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL in srv.sys at address 0xB9719DE6 (base 0xb970F000).

I can create a backup of the same files to the same destination on my USB2 drive successfully using Winzip Pro.

Hopefully this problem can soon be solved.

Regards,

Tony

Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello EnGenie,

Please collect the information requested from you via e-mail by Eugene Bogdanov.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

12. EnGenie

The requested files have been sent. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.