Unable to run scheduled tasks

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by aigle, Sep 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

After a recent format and reinstall of XP home, I am not able to run scheduled tasks. The error mesages I get are as shown below. I run as administrator with no password and there are no security appliances installed yet which can interfere.
    I wonder where can be the problem as the system is just fresh, no malware as not even connected to internet yet. I was ble to run scheduled snapshots on same system before format and reinstall via ecovery CD. Any help?

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      52.6 KB
      Views:
  2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Here is the error log.

Attached Files:

3. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

And before, when scheduled tasks worked OK, were you operating without a password ?

4. ^Ale

^Ale Registered Member

I think to remember that if you have no password for your account you can't run a scheduled tasks.

^Ale

5. crofttk

Me too, I just wasn't sure if that was for all tasks or not, so you are on the right track I think.

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I am sure that I was running schedules tasks without password previously. Though even at that time whenever I scheduled a task I was getting an error message stating that the task might not run but it was running anyhow.

7. crofttk

That sounds correct to me aigle, best I can recall, now that you suggest it. I believe the password is only a requirement if you want the system to run the task when you are not logged on.

One thing: sometimes, if task scheduler gets fouled up for no discernible reason, if you turn it off, delete SchedLgU.Txt from C:\Windows, then turn it back on, it works OK.

To turn it off, you go to Control Panel\Scheduled Tasks\Advanced and select "Stop Using Task Scheduler". Select "Start Using Task Scheduler" to turn it back on.

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks crofttk, I will try this and then tell you the result.

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Same result. It,s weired.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      71.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2006
  10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

The most weired thing is that this system is almost exactly the same as I format with recovery CD that installs exactly same settings etc each time.
    The only new thing I have done is to run Norton clean up tool after doing uninstall of Norton Internet Security via add/ remove( that I did not do last time--- at that time I just uninstalled by add/remove and after that did not run Norton uninstall tool). But I don,t think it has any relation to current issue.

11. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Microsoft makes mention of this problem in this MSKB article and suggests installing the latest service pack. Have you installed either SP1 or SP2 yet with this new install ?

Bubba

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

ya, I do have SP1 and 2.

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I have got the reason. It was my mistake infact.

From Windows Built in Help,

"To open Scheduled Tasks, click Start, click All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Scheduled Tasks.
    If you want to configure advanced settings for the task, select the Open advanced properties for this task when I click Finish check box on the final page of the wizard.
    Confirm that the system date and time on your computer are accurate, because Scheduled Tasks relies on this information to run scheduled tasks. To verify or change this information, double-click the time indicator on the taskbar.
    If you leave the password blank and you want the task to run when you are logged on, open the task. On the Task tab, select the Run only if logged on check box. The task will run at its scheduled time when the user who created the task is logged on to the computer"

Just checking the Run only if logged on check box solved the issue.

Thanks for all the replies.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.