Unable to run MSAS

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by aigle, Feb 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Just uninstalled MSAS today and after that I tried to reinstall it many times. Each time I am able to install but when I try to run it, I receive this message. I tried multiple uninstal and reinstal with booting each time, no effect. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Try this. Remove the program. Reboot. Run a regclean of some sort, assuming you have one. Reboot again. Install MSAS.
    BTW, I did a quick google and found hundreds of entires talking about this error.
    Here's one of the workarounds, but there are dozens:
    http://castlecops.com/print-1-110088.html
    Mrk

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I manually removed the registry of antispyware but still problem persisted. Is there a possibility that microsoft intentionally sent some pattch etc with their updates that is causing this problem, just to force people to use recently launched window,s defender. The message ....install most recent version of windows antispyware -- points to this.

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I don't think so.
    After trialing Defender, I removed it and installed MSAS. No problems whatsoever.
    Mrk

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Culprit Found- Cloudmark AntiFraud Toolbar ?

It,s really surprising. Today I started my system in safe mode and pleasantly in safe mode MSAS was laoded successfully on start up( no error). It asked me permisssion for the recently installed Cloudmark Tooolbar to run that of course I allowed. I did a quick system scan, all was fine, no error message now. Scan result was clear as expected. Then I rebooted to normal mode and now MSAS is fine( on reboot it again asked me permission for Cloudmark toolbar).

Now I strongly suspect all this was the result of some incompatibility with this toolbar. As I can now remember retrospectively that this problem started just after starting this toolbar. Although I have installed this toolbar on desktop with XP Pro SP 2 and 1 and there was no problem with MSAS. But it was my first time to insatll this toolbar on my laptop with XP Home SP 2. So I have no explanation except to blame Cloudmark. Otherwise I never had any problem with MSAS on my laptop since I bought it( that,s since 1 month).

Whatever is the reality, I am happy that I was able to fix it. I will see how it behaves in future, if it gave the same error again, I will remove the toolbar and see the result. Will give a follow up post in a week or so.

And I checked my CPU usage, MSAS( gcasServ.exe) is giving these CPU usage spikes as I checked in task manager, I think this CPU usage is nornal. Am I true? Spikes go when I shut down MSAS.

Attached Files:

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

CPU usage with MSAS shut down.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.