Unable to restore from image - 2 Problems

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by merkhead, May 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. merkhead

merkhead Registered Member

I just purchased TI8 to replace Ntn Ghost and have experienced two problems which are preventing me from creating a backup system boot drive

Problem 1 - Image Restore Wizard not detecting/presenting other Drives

I have 3 physical IDE Drives in my system. C: and E: are located in two partitions on drive 1. F: is a single partition on drive 2. H: Is a single partition on drive 3.

I have created an image of my System Boot Drive (C:) in a sub-directory under F:. The image was created using a stand-alone CD. When I try to restore that image onto drive H: using the restore wizard, I am presented with only one drive, drive C: for the target drive to restore to. Drives F: and H: do not appear - Only drive C:

I was able to work around this by physically moving drive 3 to the same IDE position as drive 1 and then booting on the stand-alone CD. The single drive was then presented which I selected and restored to. The image creation process completed successfully.

Problem 2 – Restored drive not allowing Win XP login

Using the above image, I performed a restore with verification to a new drive and single partition. This completed successfully. After the restore was complete I attempted to boo ton the newly restored drive. The system boots properly but “hangs” at the Microsoft Windows XP logo and never presents the user icon for login.

The physical drive is placed in the same position as the original system boot drive. I have also verified that the original drive still allows logins as normal.

Any help is appreciated

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

I can't help with Problem one other than to ask whether the drives are jumpered Master and Slave correctly.

For Problem 2, make a new image of hard drive number 1 but check the box for Drive 1 so that both the C and E partitions are selected. Unless you image a whole drive, there's no guarantee that the restored image will be bootable.

If that's not practical because of the used space on E, then partition the new hard drive with two partitions using FDISK or other partitioning software so that it matches your current C drive in number and type of partitions. This should create a suitable MBR. Then try restoring the image you have already made of only C to the first partition of the new drive.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello merkhead,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please do the following:

- Download Acronis Report utility from http://www.acronis.com/files/support/AcronisReport.exe;
    - Run Acronis Report utility and select the "Create bootable floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the floppy drive and proceed with creating the bootable diskette;
    - Plug in all your three drives to the computer under consideration in the way they were plugged originally (when you were not able to choose the drive 3);
    - Boot the computer under consideration from the diskette you created and wait for report creation process to complete;
    - Send the report.txt file from the floppy disk to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread.

As for the second problem, John is right that we cannot guarantee the restored single partition (not the whole disk) will be bootable if it is restored to another disk.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.