Unable to restore from Backup

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Gentleman Mike, Jul 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gentleman Mike

Gentleman Mike Registered Member

I have the free version of Paragon Backup and Recovery 2013 and am trying to do a restore.

I start the restore wizard and select the archive I want to restore and apply the changes and after a few seconds I get a message saying that 'Volume exclusive access is required to complete the action.

I click on the 'what files prevent operation completion' link and then the list of open files appear'

I select 'Close all opened files and retry the operation' but it doesn't close them. If I try and close them manually from the processes screen then it just reboots the machine and I am no further forward.

Any help at this stage would be grateful.

Thanks

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Create a Linux boot medium and try to restore from it.

(I am supposing that it´s possible to build a Linux boot medium from the free version).

3. Gentleman Mike

Sorry I should have said that I am using Windows 7.

4. Peter 123

Peter 123 Registered Member

I (always) have exactly the same problem as you, Gentleman Mike.

The problem is (in my case) the WinPE bootable medium ("Recovery CD") which obviously is not capable of doing its work. :thumbd:
    I assume that you (still) do not have such a recovery CD and that you try to restore the image when Windows is in use. And this does not work too (at least for me it never did).

---> The best solution is the suggestion by Robin A.: You should use a bootable medium ("Recovery CD") based on Linux. (That you are using Windows 7 is no problem. The CD will start your computer "outside" of Windows.)

As I have a paid box version of Paragon I automatically can use the original Paragon CD as recovery CD, because it is based on Linux.

Surely someone here will be able to tell you how you can create it when using the free version of Paragon Backup and Recovery.

Some basic information about it you can find here:
    http://kb.paragon-software.com/paragon/include/templ/object2.jsp?objId=1840
    http://kb.paragon-software.com/paragon/include/templ/object2.jsp?catId=-1&objId=6038&statId=2245198&foLang=en

and in the User Manual for Paragon Backup & Recovery 2013 Free on pages 11/12:
    http://download.paragon-software.com/doc/BR2013Free_en_manual.pdf

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  5. Gentleman Mike

Thanks very much for the detailed help. I shall have a go at doing it this way

(however it is a shame that the program makes it so difficult to do a restore and doesn't tell you about this when they advertise the program. If I am doing a restore it usually means that something has happened to the PC and so I need to get it back up and running urgently. This should be a matter of doing a couple of steps and should be as easy as making the original backup)

6. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

(Not possible. During a restore, the systems partition is deleted and then re-written using the data stored in the image. It´s not possible to do this while simultaneously working from Windows).

7. Gentleman Mike

Which is what the program should tell us rather than popping up an error message to say something is wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.