Unable to restore BIG files within TI backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by IngolfSeidel, Jun 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IngolfSeidel

IngolfSeidel Registered Member

Hello from Germany:

Some days ago I got faced with the problem to restore a complete Oracle data directory. The files are located in a TI backup of about 33gb. Some of the data files of Oracle are really large (index and user files from 19gb to 31gb). Starting the restore I didn´t expect any problems. But - TI (my current version is TI Home 11) was unable to restore. It usually hangs after restoring about 4gb of the first of the >10gb files.

I tried several attempts. Restoring with the TI restore function, restoring by using WindowsExplorer copy function with an opened TI backup, restoring by using the RescueDisc. Result was always the same. Hanging of restore.

My last attempt was a download of a trial of TI Home 2009 and doing the upper procedures again. The current restore (better: restore attempt) was started two days ago by using a RescueDisc (of TI 2009). The progressbar currently shows about 25% of progress and tells me about 3 days (!!!) left to finish restore.

I already had contacts with the Acronis support and they told me to try different methods to restore (the upper procedures).

I suppose that a scenario like mine will not be the "normal" case for TI. But nevertheless a scenario like mine should be able to work. Or am I the only one who will try to backup (and restore) very big files (big does not mean that the backup-file itself is big but the files within the backup-file)?

Does anybody of you already got faced with similiar problems?

Thank you for any information and hints,
    regards, Ingolf.

P.S.: I don´t want to restore the complete disc but only a directory.

2. snifferpro

snifferpro Registered Member

1. What are your system specs?

2. Are you restoring from an internal drive or external drive?

3. Are you restoring to a new location or the original?

3. IngolfSeidel

My system specs are (both systems are running WinXP Pro SP3):
    - system for backup: Thinkpad Z61m, 3GB RAM, 320GB internal drive, 120GB as second drive in UltraBay.
    - system for restore (as I need my Thinkpad for further development tasks) Dell Dimension 5000, 3GB RAM, 250GB internal drive, 250GB external USB drive.

The restore will be done to a new location on the Dell. The backup-file is located on the external USB, the new target on the Dell will be on the internal drive. I created a new 100GB partition on the Dell internal drive to be sure that fragmentation will not cause any problems.

Regards, Ingolf.

P.S.: ... restore is still working, and working, and ... (and will still last 3 days).

4. snifferpro

I'm assuming that the USB external you are restoring from was used on the Thinkpad to make the backup. Is that correct?

Does the Dell support USB 2.0?

5. IngolfSeidel

Yes the backup on the Thinkpad was created with the external USB drive. And yes the Dell supports USB 2.0.

SURPRISE :argh: :
    I just looked on my Server (= Dell) about the progress on restore. It has finished. The completion must be done during last night. So it took a time from mid Saturday to late Monday. Later on I will check if the restore was successful. But before doing this I will have to do some Oracle database exports to be sure that my current environment will not be lost again.

I will post the results of my analysis when I am finished.

Regards, Ingolf.

6. IngolfSeidel

As promised I will post the result of my endless restore story.

I checked the database files and made some tests if my databases are running correctly. And yes - my databases are running fine.
    The conclusion (for me) is that currently only TI 2009 is able to restore files being very large (although it is a very time-consuming procedure).

Regards, Ingolf.

P.S.: Thank you for the support.

7. Vlad V

Vlad V Registered Member

I wonder how much time would it take to restore the entire disk? Creating a disk image takes much less time than backing up the files it contains using "My Data" backup. May be this is true for restore as well?

Vlad

8. snifferpro

I had similar results restoring a full disk to an old laptop that did not have USV 2.0 support. It took almost 6 hours to restore a very small hard drive.

After installing a USB 2.0 PC card the restore took less than 30 minutes.

Another thing that may slow down a restore is an image that is being restored from a FAT formatted drive.

9. IngolfSeidel

Hi,

I agree that it is very strange having restore times like 3 days. As I did remember the backup was done in 4-6 hours. And this was the time for backing up the whole partition.
    As all my drives (incl. the external USB drives) are NTFS formatted and all my systems are running USB 2.0 my guess is that the algorithms used for restore are working fine for big archives including smaller files (small = < 10gb). But as soon as the files within a backup archiv are very large then the algorithms will reach a limit.
    I remember long times ago I was working on host systems (like IBM 370/158 - I said long times ago :D ) and when we had to develop systems to sort large data we had to create more complex algorithms as sorting couldn´t be done within main memory (1-10mb main memory was typical at those days even for million $ systems like the good old 370).

Regards, Ingolf.

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

Ingolf,

Could you please let me know your license number via PM? I will send you an ISO file to create another Acronis Booting Rescue Media based on an alternate loader, this should increase the performance.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.