unable to read disk 1 sector xxxxxx (retry, ignore, ignore all)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jhboston, Apr 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhboston

jhboston Registered Member

I get the captioned messge a quite a few times when trying to clone the boot drive to a new drive. I have tried to reply ignore and ignore all. I get to about 77-80 % completion and then the cloning stops and nothing happens. I have left the cloning on for a few hours, and still nothing progresses. What can I do. I have looked through the other postings and found nothing like what I am experiencing.
    Thanks.

2. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Such errors usually mean the drive is ill.

For the new drive:

1. Run the drive manufacturer's diagnostics. You'll have to run these anyway to file a warranty claim on the drive.

2. Run the tests at http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

3. Run chkdsk and tell it to repair the drive.

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

First, rather than cloning, try to make an image of the drive which you can restore to a new drive.

It appears that you have a bad sector on the boot drive. That's why it can't be read. However, it's near the end of the drive, so it may not contain critical information. The first thing you need to do is clear up this problem.

You didn't say what your operating system is, but in Windows XP, open Windows Explorer and RIGHT click on the boot drive. On the tools tab, under ErrorChecking, click on Check Now. In the popup window, check both boxes and then click Start. You will be prompted to restart the computer. Do so and let the full check run. It may take over an hour on a large drive.

After the drive has been checked, run TrueImage and make an image of the boot drive to another hard drive.

You can replace the boot drive, boot from the Recovery CD and restore the image to the new drive.

4. jhboston

jhboston Registered Member

Howard and JMK. I just wanted to thank you for your quick replies. It was a great help. I went through My Computer to the old "C" drive, tools, and to the fix option. I selected both options within this. It required me to re-boot. Then he found about 5 bad files, and corrected them. I then did use Clone again, and it was successful. You guys lead me to the fix. thanks again.
    John

5. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

I've also had various problems with TrueImage which are due to file system errors so I now always run chkdsk /f before using TrueImage.

6. Howard Kaikow

7. tachyon42

Sometimes a utility such as SpinRite 6 can help with data recovery from a disk that even the manufacturer's diagnostics have trouble with. Search this forum for 'Spinrite' for further comments.

It's also worth noting that there are some situations where chkdsk can not fix a logical error in the file structure.

8. Howard Kaikow

Recovery of the files is a separate issue.

I am referring to the situation in which users get a false sense of security when a disk has bad sectors and chkdsk appears to repair the errors.

It is still necessary to run the proper drive manufacturerand controller manufacturer diagnostics to find th etrue state of the sectors on a disk. Sectors usually go bad in bunches. It is necesary to get as early a warning as possible.

9. tachyon42

And I'm pointing out that sometimes both chkdsk and drive manufacurer's diagnostics are inadequate to resolve an issue.
    I've had situations where chkdsk does not report errors yet the logical file system structure is corrupt. In one such case the only way I could delete a file was to use the Killbox utility (which only worked successfully using the delete on reboot mode)
    I've also had a situation where the manufacturer's diagnostics found the disk to be so corrupted that the diagnostics failed. Windows 2000 would also not recognise the disk to allow it to be formatted. In this case SpinRite 6 was able to analyse the disk and correct the faulty low level disk structure format.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.