unable to partition.

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by techdunce, Jun 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. techdunce

techdunce Registered Member

hello and thanks for your time. i recently tried to partition my HD with acronis partition manager but cannot seem to make it work. i am a relative newbie so i am presuming i am missing something obvious, but here goes anyway.i am running windows xp sp2. 55GB HD. i have read all the instructions and followed them to the letter (i think). after i "commit" i get a message saying i must reboot to finish the process. on reboot i keep getting this error message. "error, cannot find disk." i have been through the process several times and always the same result, can anyone tell me whats up or if this problem sounds familiar, thanks in advance, techdunce :)
    p.s. i originally posted this in the wrong forum, apologies for any inconveniance.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello techdunce,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

I believe you are using Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0.

If this is the case, first of all, please make sure you use the latest build (2160) of the program. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

If you already using the latest build and the issue persists, please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, unpack the archive, install unpacked MSI package and see if the problem persists.

If the issue still persists, please do the following:

- Replace C:\WINDOWS\system32\snapapi.dll with the one from the downloaded SnapAPI archive;

- Reproduce the issue and collect the log file;

- Get the log file without closing any application windows (including the error message windows if there are any). The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

In addition, please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Please also create Acronis Disk Director Bootable CD (check chapter 9 of the Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 User's Guide for the instructions), boot your from it and try to partition your drive.

P.S. I have moved you thread to the appropriate Forum branch and deleted the duplicated thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

3. techdunce

hello alexandr, and thanks for getting back to me, as the handle suggests i am no techie and am fairly new to all this, the build i am using is acronis partition expert personal 2003 (build 278 ).i acquired it through a magazine issue, PC Answers. it is registered and i am about to download the drivers you mention, so i will let you know how i get on, so in the meantime thanks again, techdunce :)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  4. techdunce

hello again, just to update you. downloading the drivers you mentioned has made no difference. i still get the same error message on reboot. before i try anything else, i would like to know your opinion about the build i am using. are you aware of it and should it be working properly. thanks again, techdunce :)

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello techdunce,

Please note that the version of the program you are using is an old version, thus, it could be possible that there could be lack of drivers for modern devices.

I would recommend that you try to partition your drive while booted from Bootable CD created with the program.

You might also want to download and install the free trial version of Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 (the new version of Acronis Partition Expert 2003) to see how the software works on your computer.

Please be aware that using Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 trial version, you will be able to create a "scenario" of the changes, which can be made but you will not be able to complete the operations. You will be able to create a small partition (~ 7,8 MBytes) both in Windows and in rescue mode.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

6. techdunce

thanks again for your reply alexandr, your advise is well appreciated. i did try to create a bootable disc, went through the motions, when the opreation finished, there was nothing on the disc. so failed again. although as previously mentioned, i am new to this, but i am coming to the conclusion that the disc is crap, and not the product. however i am very annoyed that so called reputable mags can issue crap like this, and get people to pay good money for it, on false pretences. or at least thats how it seems right now. anyway thanks again for your time on this matter, i was so frustrated at my own inability to make it work, but at least now i think i can safely lay the blame on the disc itself. all the best for now, techdunce :)

7. techdunce

hello again alexandr, just a quick update on this issue. i took your advise and downloaded the trial version of disk director suite and, much to my relief everything went flawlessly. no problems at all. i was really beginning to have doubts about my own abilities. i call myself techdunce, thats half truth and half laugh, so confidence is restored. and i now know that the problems where not of my own making. so big thanks again from the dunce. :D :D :D
    p.s. really like the product and will definitely upgrade. all the best and thanks again, techdunce :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.