unable to log in to administrators account in windows vista

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by BugEye, Sep 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BugEye

BugEye Registered Member

Good Morning!

I am neew to this, so please go easy, and very slooow. I have a computer problem that I dont know how to fix..Let me start with: the problem...
    I am unable to access my administrator's account, I am running windows vista service pak 2. I am unable to log in.. windows somehow has changed my password and I cannot do any admin tasks. Need help, please reply.

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

You could try entering with the built-in Administrator account. The one who lost access to, is not the real Administrator account, rather a local Administrator account.

I'm not sure whether or not you have it already enabled, so if you have do the following:

Reboot, and when you get the option to enter any of the accounts you may have, press CTRL+ALT+DEL twice. Then type in "Administrator" (If it is the English version. I believe that you must type in what ever name your version is. At least, that's what happens with me.) and as password leave it blank.

Then, going to Control Panel, to the part where you can create/delete accounts, just change the password.

By the way, make sure you backup whatever you first. There's a strong possibility that you may loose many of the documents you got, once removing/changing password.

To enable the Built-in Administrator account, if not done already, you need to do this boot with Windows DVD and enter Repair, then command line and type "net user Administrator /active:yes", without the quotes. (Note, I'm not 100% sure these are all the steps to get to the step on typing in the "net user Administrator /active:yes" commands. I never had to deal with such problems.)

Anyway, you may consider also having a look at here, which I found now: http://harryjohnston.wordpress.com/2010/03/09/resetting-a-password-in-windows-7-or-windows-vista/

Again, whatever method you try, before resetting the password, backup your data, as there will be a strong possibilty to lose it all or most of it.

Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.