Unable to install

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by emmpe, May 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emmpe

emmpe Registered Member

I've culled a huge amount of testimonies - from the web as well as "live" - about the advantages and safe performance of FDISR, so naturally I really want to try it out. But that seems impossible. It just won't install. No, I´m lying there. It did install once on a fresh XPHome OEM system, but behaved really weird: as installation was finishing, the uninstall wizard opened. In all other cases, five by now, all on near-pristine XPPro systems, what happens is that the little black screen pops up for about fifteen seconds, hurls a ton of unreadable information at me, states that install is completed with errors, and disappears, after which follows a rollback and the useless suggestion to visit Raxco's FAQ page. All I've been able to gather is that some file(s) ain't found. I've tried with and without malware protection running, and anyway none of those apps has reacted on the setup process. My difficulties can't possibly be unique, and FDISR still seems to be a most sensible solution, so I'd be very grateful if someone could enlighten me on the matter, or at least suggest in what direction to think.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Emmpe

can you give us a list of the security software you are running, and it's status during the install attempt.

Pete

3. emmpe

emmpe Registered Member

Hi,
    and thank you for a quick reply.
    Security software's like this: Kaspersky IS, Prevx and SpySweeper. I've tried installing both with sec apps running and closed. I've also been running theActiveSmart monitor in some case. Machine, by the way, is a dual Athlon64.

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

emmpe,
    The CPU can't be the problem, I have the same kind of CPU
    AMD Athlon 4400+ 64Bit X2 Dual-Core Processor.

These are the system requirements of FDISR, please check them out :
    * Windows 2000 Professional or Server, Windows XP Home or Professional, Windows 2003 Server
    * Memory (RAM): 256 MB of RAM recommended as minimum (128 MB minimum supported)
    * Available Hard Disk Space: 6 MB for application, Additional space required for snapshots will vary
    * NTFS file system

Where did you get the FDISR Installation File. A link would be nice ?
    The FDISR Installation File could be wrong, out-of-date or corrupted and that might cause installation problems.
    The latest version : FirstDefense-ISR Professional v3.20 build 202.

Raxco doesn't sell FirstDefense-ISR anymore. So the name is history.
    SoftwarePursuits is a reseller of "BootBack" (= FirstDefense-ISR) - $64
    You can download "BootBack - Workstation v3.20 build 202 at this website :
    http://softwarepursuits.com/bootback/download.asp

Last edited: May 22, 2007
  5. emmpe

emmpe Registered Member

Hello, Eric,
    my system more than well meets the demands of FDISR, and the file I've been trying to install is the trial version, properly downloaded with all the mailing hassle (and subsequent micro-spamming) from Raxco's site some months ago. Of course it may have been outdated already by then; if it's corrupted as well, my quest is over - I do not use an application if its vendor, whoever it may be, won´t take responsibility for it (that's one reason I don't use any Symantec stuff). Still, this very file actually did install once (with the mentioned peculiar behaviour), only it was on a system I don't want to use (same hardware, crap-burdened OEM Windows). But it does seem reasonable to give FDISR another - last - chance with a fresh installation file from a fresh source, just for the hell of it.

6. ErikAlbert

That's what I would do too. Alot of things have changed since months ago and the trial version of your FDISR isn't up-to-date anymore. Besides it's BootBack now, FirstDefense-ISR is history. So you better trial with BootBack.

7. emmpe

emmpe Registered Member

Well, tried and failed, but at least BB lets the system tell you there's a 1722 error. BB support has been notified. This may well but not necessarily falsify the outdate and corruption hypothesises. So I guess I'll just wait a while for BB support to answer. Would be fun though to know what error 1722 is in connection with this specific app. Google's so vast and my knowledge so infinitesimal.

8. ErikAlbert

Do you have the latest Windows XP Home, I don't know much about the Home version, but do you have the latest Service Pack, if there is any ?

9. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

These are some things which are listed as being a no go with BB

BootBack can't be installed on a machine with GoBack installed on it. GoBack locks the MBR and prevents BootBack from installing.
    BootBack can't be run on machines which have St. Bernard Open File Technology (HotSpot) installed. The two open file technologies can't co-exist on the same system. There is no workaround at this time.
    NTFS Dynamic Volumes are not supported at this time.

10. emmpe

emmpe Registered Member

Eric, FDISR did install smoothly only on an OEM Windows XPHome SP2 system, with no post-summer-06 updates installed and no OEM crapware removed (as that seemed to exacerbate an inherent and perhaps proprietary instability). But now I run an XP Pro SP2 I had lying around since a year and a half in wait for a suitable moment to rebuild my system. I don´t have the latest updates, and shouldn´t have to neither, since at least FDISR should be content with updates from two months ago.
    Stapp, there´s no GoBack, no St. Bernard and no NTFS dynamic volumes. The only apps that have been active during a failed install (though not on every occasion) are the security apps and once uTorrent. I've tried closing down everything that could be closed without intimidating system function. System drive (250GB Samsung), should be in good, though maybe not mint crisp, condition according to a PCDoctor surface scan made some weeks ago. The only other problem I've experienced with the current configuration is a constant BSOD after installing trial PowerISO. Into this I have not delved, since mankind can do just fine without the .daa format.

11. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

http://www.spursuits.com/bootback/supportissues.asp
    The two lines in red above are incorrect, since Version 3.20 Build 202 posted on April 20, 2007, does NOT use the MBR.

Mike

12. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

They should use you to write their webpages for them Mike, at least then they might get the info right!!

13. ErikAlbert

Right and in that case I ran out of ideas to solve your INSTALL problem due to my serious lack of knowledge.
    I sincerely hope that the support of BootBack will solve your problem as soon as possible. :oops:

14. TOPOVAN

TOPOVAN Registered Member

Today I dl FirstDefence from the Leapfrog site.

I really like the idea that the company is in my neighborhood a few miles from where I live, tis nice in this global economy to do business locally!!

I have been reading Wilders for sometime. THANKS for all the awesome postings everyone!!

I am aware of the BootBack, being the 'replacement' for FD.

However I have the Leapfrog FD and attempted to install on my computer.

I have a new computer with a clean install of XP Pro, all patched and updated, the whole system is just two weeks old

160G HD with partitions C: pagefile, D: XP, E: Apps, F: Data Storage.

I put FD on the E drive.

During the FD install I get the message:

WINDOWS SYSTEM VOLUME must be the boot volume.

Then the install setup quits.

Can anyone please tell me what to do??

15. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Install on the D: drive

16. TOPOVAN

TOPOVAN Registered Member

I spoke with TODD of Leapfrog. First Defence will not work on my computer because I have it partitioned into different drives. First Defence need to have the boot sector and the OS on the same partition. He said they are working to make the First Defense suitable for a partitioned drive such as I have, and that such capabilities should be available in six months.

Meanwhile Bootback and Peer are the same as First Defence so those will not work on my system.

It seems I am going to have to use RollbackRx, which may be the best in my situation, since my 85 yr old father uses this computer several hours a day and he makes many user errors. I need to have a rollback type software to maintain system integrity.

Thanks Everyone Once Again.

17. ErikAlbert

If you do this :

C: = System Partition = Windows + Applications + FDISR (2 snapshots minimum)
    D: = Data Partition = personal files, emails, etc.

It will work, because that's my setup.
    If you use a frozen snapshot any mistake can be corrected with a simple reboot.

18. emmpe

emmpe Registered Member

OK, and thanks anyway for your interest. I really like this forum, where any thread may spin off into anything. Great fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.