unable to import blitzen zeus ruleset into SPF 4.6

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by demonon, Feb 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. demonon

demonon Guest

Hi,

I would like to try blitzen zeus ruleset in SPF 4.6
    When I try so I get this message:
    There was an error importing the configuration file. Import was not successful.

Has anyone managed to import the ruleset into SPF 4.6 in windows Vista?
    I appreciate if you tell me your experience and how you managed to import them.

-Demonon.

2. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Try to put BZ rules into Kerio 2.1.5, save, then try importing into Sunbelt-Kerio.
    Hmm, I don't know whether Kerio2 runs on Vista.

For your sake I just tried importing BZ rules into Sunbelt-Kerio 4.6.1861 on my XP computer. It failed as well. Yet every ruleset I've saved in Kerio 2.1.5 was coming in correctly. So I don't know what is the matter. I'd contact tech support over at Sunbelt. Or better: build own rules using BZ set and logs as a guide. It'll fit YOUR system. Just set Any Application to "?" in all columns to make sure it asks you

I wanted to quote you what the debug log says, but it just rolled over. There was something there about importing v2, success (I'm not kidding) then importing v4. Meaningless to me.

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

You might be best off writing your own, based on his rule set and commentary over at DSLR, or wherever you found it. Some of the rules in Kerio 2.1.5 rule sets won't log properly in v4.xx, it's a shortcoming in v 4's logging. It's rare, but you may encounter it. Also, if you're using a rule set like that, then make sure you disable all of the built-in default rules and just use your own for DHCP, DNS, etc etc.

4. act8192

Hi Kerodo, please tell more about it - what shortcoming and what doesn't log? and what can we (if anything) do about it. Thanks in advance :)

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I probably shouldn't have even mentioned it, it's been so long since I used either versions of Kerio. I just remember in 4.x development, they added logging late in the game, almost as an afterthought, and it wasn't properly integrated. There are a few rare instances when logging in your own rules would conflict with Kerio's internal logging priorities, and once in a while I would encounter one of my rules not logging. It was mentioned in the Kerio forums but never got any attention with the devs. Sorry, I can't be more specific as I don't use it any more and would probably have to work hard to reproduce the circumstances. I wouldn't worry about it, just be aware that if ever you don't see something logging as it should, it could be due to bad design in Kerio.

6. demonon

demonon Guest

I am now trying to write my own ruleset, thanks for all your help.

7. act8192

Many thanks for your reply. I understand what you said and will watch. I've been using 4.6.1861 now for about 4 months and play with rules and haven't seen what you did yet :) I'm glad you did mention it!

8. act8192

Enjoy!

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

The only firewall i even considered being a harsh critic of them anyway is been OA's. Still, i'm content to sit on 2.15 Kerio w/Blitzen's template rules, and i have to admit, i yet to see anything pierce thru it yet going on what? 3 years now or so?

Kerio 2.15 although obsolete by a long shot now, perfectly protects my XP Pro and i won't give it up untill something on it's same level surfaces that can prove it's stronger.

It still gives off alerts to blocking suspicious packets and the fine surgical tuning of it makes it most reliable even today for me on XP Pro.

I've shut off all ports of contention, greatly narrowing the ports available which are absolutely needed.

EASTER

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.