Unable to identify source of attempted security breach

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by okieman, Mar 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. okieman

okieman Registered Member

I have two security software programs on my Windows XP computer (not counting the Windows firewall configured for its strictest setting). One is Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware Pro, and the other, just recently installed, is ESET Smart Security. I thought I had all the bases covered. Late this morning the Malwarebytes icon in the system tray started popping up messages like "Blocked attempt to contact malicious website at 192.10.443. Category: outgoing." These were happening about every five seconds. If that wasn't bad enough, this occurred after ESET had run a scheduled scan of the RAM and both hard drives. So, I thought, let's see, Smart Security is an anti-virus and anti-spyware program. This is a malware issue. So I had MBAM run a scan, not the quick scan option, but the check-every-single-thing option of both drives. Results: 0. Whatever was trying to establish an outside connection quit after about 45 minutes. But I don't know why none of my paid-for software found anything? And before someone asks me this, no I'm not running peer-to-peer software right now. Any tips?

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

What process caused the contact? MBAM should list that in its protection log.

3. okieman

okieman Registered Member

You're right. MBAM should list that in its protection log. It's a great product -- but -- it only logs scans. I've said several times in their online forum that its failure to track the source of attempted security breaches is the one flaw in this product. A big flaw.

Maybe I'll figure out some other way to track down the bad guy. The Windows Event Viewer doesn't show me anything. And the Widows Firewall settings don't have an option for out going connection attempts, only incoming. There's gotta be a solution somewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.