Unable to Hibernate after TI Backup and Restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by LimJK, Jun 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LimJK

LimJK Registered Member

Hi,

I am new to Acronis products, hoping that someone can give me some suggestions.

I just bought a Fujitsu S6311 Laptop that has a 80GB Fujitus SATA harddisk.

(I am able to Hibernate the system at this point)

I used Acronis TI 8.0 Personal Edition (later I tried with TI 9.0 Home Edition) to BACKUP (under Windows XP SP2) the disk into a *.tib file on an external USB harddisk.

I replaced the harddisk in the laptop with a 100GB Hitachi SATA harddisk. I used TI to RESTORE the image into the new harddisk on the laptop.

Everything seems OK; including shutting down, system standby, etc. Except that I am unable to hibernate the system. The Hibernate process starts correctly as I can see the indicator bar goes from the left to the end on the right, however, without the usual beep. Hibernate aborts and got back to Windows XP environment with Windows System Error on the task bar.

Did I missed anything? Thanks for any words of wisdom.

Cheers
    JK

2. LimJK

LimJK Registered Member

Hi,

Since I did not get any suggestions...

I decided to upgrade my TI8 (OEM) to TI9 Home. Using Acronis Boot disk I cloned the 80GB Fujitsu Harddisk (inside the laptop) to the 100GB Hitachi harddisk over USB on a SATA Casing.

Like in the previous post, I can Hibernate with the original 80GB Fujitu Harddisk. However, after cloning I swap the 100GB Hitachi Harddisk into the Laptop, I am unable to Hibernate!

Am I the only one with this problem?
    I would greatly appreciate if someone could help confirm that this is a known problem or if I have missed anything please guide me.

JK

3. VolkerNadolski

VolkerNadolski Registered Member

Hi,

have you tried to deactivate Hibernation, delete the Hibernation file and them reactivate the hibernation function..?

Maybe your Hibernation file is corrupt...

Volker

P.S.: What is the system error message..?

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello JK,

Your first post mentions imaging and restoring whilst your second post talks about cloning. As they are two very different processes, could you please confirm that your second attempt was indeed a "clone" operation. I feel sure it was but it's best to make sure.

I'm not sure why the hibernate function is misbehaving but what I can say is that, in order to save space, TI doesn't backup either the Hibernate file or Page (Swap) file when creating images (as opposed to cloning). It merely backs up a few bytes representing place holders for both files.

Perhaps you could try disabling hibernation before creating a whole-disk "image" of your old HD or before "cloning" it to the new HD?

Regards

5. LimJK

LimJK Registered Member

Thanks for the reply.

In my 1st post it was Image *.tib file, I have glean through the forum, understand that files such as hibernate files will not be included in the image.

In my 2nd post it is cloning. I have tried disabling Hibernate, restart Windows, enable Hibernate, I thought that should remove the Hibernate file. What is the name of the Hibernate file, so that I can delete it by hand.

Thanks
    JK

6. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

Do a search for file hiberfil.sys. This is a hidden file in the root of the C: drive. Disabling Hibernate and re-booting should have removed it.

7. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello LimJK,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

First of all, please make sure that you use the latest build (3633) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home which is available in the Product Updates section of your account at Acronis web site.

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

To get access to updates you should create an account then log in and use your serial number to register the software.

If you use the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home then please re-download it from our web site. It should be of the latest build.

Please uninstall any previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing build 3633.

Note that you should create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update.

After installing the update please create new image of the entire source hard drive saving it to your external USB disk, turn off the computer, unplug the source hard drive and install the destination disk in it's place, boot the computer from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (3633) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home and restore the image. Then boot into the newly restored operating system and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem persists with the latest build (3633) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home then please provide us with the following information:

- Boot into Windows from the source hard drive having the destination disk unplugged and create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

- Boot into Windows from the destination disk having the source hard drive unplugged and create Acronis Report and Windows System Information once more;

- Rename the files collected to report_source.txt, sysinfo_source.NFO and report_destination.txt, sysinfo_destination.NFO accordingly;

- Make a screen shot or provide the exact text of the error message that you receive upon the attempt to hibernate your computer;

- Let us know if disabling hibernation feature, deleting the hiberfil.sys file and then enabling hibernation again helps.

Then please submit a request for technical support. Provide the files and information collected in your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

9. LimJK

LimJK Registered Member

Thanks for all the replies.

I brought the Hitachi 100GB SATA harddisk to Fujitsu Service Centre. They Ghost the image to it, and got the same problem with Hibernation. However, they demonstrated to me that ghosting the same image to a Fujitsu 100GB SATA harddisk, the Hibernation function actually works.

I have return to Hitachi 100GB SATA harddisk to reseller, and inform them about the problem.

I am not sure how long Hitachi will get back to me.

Once I get something conclusive I will post here. Thanks once again.

Cheers
    JK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.