Unable to enter Safe Mode

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by regeu, Nov 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. regeu

regeu Registered Member

Re: 2010 Causing disk thrashing

I have been using Returnil 2010 since it was made available as a free download on GAOTD (Giveawayoftheday). Earlier I was using the free version RVS2008.

Yesterday, I installed an additional Hard disk of 1000GB (1 Terabyte) capacity for additional storage. This HDD is separate from my original HDD which contains WinXP SP3. When I try to go to safe mode, the progress bar goes on endlessly. My config is as follows: Intel core2duo 2.2Ghz, Primary HDD 160GB partitioned into 4 logical drives, with Windows OS on C: drive, 2GB RAM, Additional HDD 1 TB.

I would really like to go into safe mode. Meanwhile I am using Sandboxie for internet browsing.

Can anybody suggest what I should do? Thanks in advance

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hello regeu and welcome to the forums :)

Are there any error messages when this happens?

Mike

3. regeu

regeu Registered Member

Thanks Mike for the prompt response. I really appreciate it.

No I do not get any error messages. However when I right click the tray icon, and select enable, I get a message "It is recommended that you close all open programs before proceeding." Even when I have no open programs and I choose to proceed, it says initializing and the progress bar goes on and on (as if it is looping endlessly). Earlier after a few seconds Returnil used to go into safe mode without any problem. But since adding the one terabyte hard disk, it is taking more than 5 minutes and it still does not go to safe mode. Is the program trying to scan the 1 Terabyte hard disk? If so it may take forever to scan it. Last couple of times I tried, I got tired of waiting and had to terminate the RVSgui process using the task manager. Since Returnil is not going to safe mode, I had to use Sandboxie for surfing the net. Has anyone faced a similar problem. Incidentally I am using the version which was made available on the "GiveAwayof the day" website.

Thanks in advance.

4. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Try to reduce the space used by the virtual system to the recommended 16 GB.

5. regeu

regeu Registered Member

Thanks Robin A for your suggestion. How do I reduce the space used by the virtual system to 16GB? What changes do I have to make to the settings and how do I make them?

6. Robin A.

Preferences > System Safe > set "Percentage of free disk space used for Virtual System" > OK.

7. regeu

regeu Registered Member

Thanks Robin A for your suggestion. The slider for "percentage for free disk space used for virtual system" was set at 50% by default. There is no indication as to how much disk space this represents. However I set this to 20% and it has worked. Now Returnil goes into safe mode without any problem. I shall experiment with other settings to find the optimum level. Thanks again for you suggestion.

8. Coldmoon

Hi regeu,
    The math to determine how much can be used is based on the available free space on your system partition (usually the C:\ drive).

EX:

1. Typical western HDD with a single logical partition = 120 GB
    2. Windows is using 18GB
    3. Maximum cache size would then be (120 - 18 )*50% = 51GB maximum

Mike

9. Robin A.

Also, the space effectively used by the virtual system seems to be the size of C:\Returnil\RVSYSTEM.CCH.

10. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Hi Mike

Just seen this and and set mine to 20%. Worked a treat.

30G hard drive.

Is that the sloution then?

11. Coldmoon

If it works for you, then it is a valid solution. Have flagged this discussion to the development team so they can focus in on the cache when used on large HDDs/system partitions.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.