Unable to encrypt system partition (Truecrypt)

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by netdemon, Jan 8, 2015.

1. netdemon

netdemon Registered Member

I can't encrypt a Windows 7 64 system partition with Truecrypt 7.1a. Volume creation wizard crashes immediately and says that "device connected to computer is not working". This is direct translation from polish (i have polish Windows version). I am not certain what would be the message in english Windows but propably simply "device not ready". In any event, it is strange because I have english version of Truecrypt. This message seems to be generated by Windows API, not Truecrypt itself. I don't have any virus. I don't have any software that could interfere with Truecrypt driver. Everything is fine with my hardware, drive, partition structure etc. Can someone help?

2. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

First question: Does your Win 7 64 computer boot using UEFI or legacy bios?

System disk encryption is a problem for TrueCrypt if you are using UEFI. Many machines have an option in their bios settings to switch from UEFI back to legacy. This would require a few simple steps on your end so don't change anything yet, just determine how your machine is booting.

This is where you need to start because you may be fighting the hardware configuration.

I really want to just start firing off suggestions but I fear I may confuse you out of the gate. I see this is your first post here at Wilder's so welcome. Because its your first I can't tell how computer literate you are. Could be a pro, or a newbie. Lets start with determining the bios config you are using.

Second question: are you attempting to encrypt the "whole disk", or are you encrypting only the system disk? It is much safer and you are more in control by encrypting the system disk (usually the C drive), and then later you can encrypt the non-system disks if you want to.

3. netdemon

I have UEFI capable MB but I am using legacy mode. I have also standart partition table (not GUID). I am IT engineer so feel free to submit even difficult and complicated suggestions.

4. netdemon

As for the second question I am going to encrypt only system partition. Encrypting non system partitions works without any problems.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.