Unable to enable IE protection

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Mimi316, Jun 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mimi316

Mimi316 Registered Member

My apologies for this question, but my search in the forum didn't tun up anything that I could use. I did find where a few other people had the same problem but didn't see a reply other than a suggestion about Spy Sweeper, which I do not have.

I did an update of SWB and clicked to enable all protection for all the areas, but no matter what I try I still have 1,058 items in IE with protection disabled. That's a lot of red stuff to see and it's scary since they're all ActiveX entries. When enabling all protection ddn't work I started going through and checking each one individually (there is no button to select all) before realizing [at about 3 AM] what a waste of time that would be if it didn't work--and it didn't. As soon as the green bar finished going across the checkmarks disappeared.

I disabled all protection then enabled all protection, with the green progress bar traveling all the way across in about 2 seconds each time. Everything disabled nicely, but enabling fixed everything except the ActiveX items.

I updated, scanned, and had very few fixes with Spybot S&D, Ad Aware SE, and Avast! Anti-Virus (I also tried pausing Avast! and enabling protection but that didn't help.) I had Trend Micro perform an online scan after which they reported no infections were detected, but said there were 5 instances of grayware/spyware: RAP_GENERIC, HACKINGTOOLS_LEAKTEST (I used this to test browser vulnerabilities), ADWARE_MEMWATCHER, ADWARE_FASTERXP, AND ADWARE_FREESCRATCHANDWIN. Unfortunately in reading the scan results and clicking a link to the dictionary, the scan results disappeared so I never got as far as the actual cleaning stage. Even so, would any of those items be likely to prevent enabling protectin for 1000+ IE ActiveX poblems?

As I said I do not have Spy Sweeper; I use Windows firewall in Win XP Pro SP2.

Please--what am I missing? How do I get protection enabled?

Thanks for any help you can offer. I'm going to hit the sack for awhile since I've had only 2 hours' sleep since Wednesday morning; will check back in later.

Mimi

2. mrlws

mrlws Registered Member

Hello Mimi,

I am having the same problem and searched the Post for answers. I found a thread on this forum which indicated you need to make sure your login has Admin access in order for the protection to work completely. I am sorry I can not find this post for your reference but this information may help you solve the problem. I plan to try it when I get home from work.

Larry

3. Vietnam Vet

Vietnam Vet Registered Member

Hello Mimi316,

Just so you will know, when you are selecting or de-selecting items in the future, just right-click one of the entries in the block list and you should get a menu that gives you several options.

ScreenHunter_001.gif

Best wishes,
    VV

4. Mimi316

Mimi316 Registered Member

Finally there's been a pause in trips out of state and visits from relatives so I could get back to this problem. Thanks to you both for your help.

Larry, I thought I had been working on SWB using my Admin account since normally I can't make any kind of changes using a regular account, but I may be mistaken. In any case, after logging on as Admin I could enable all protection for IE. I appreciate the heads-up on that tip.

VV, thank you for the info about right-clicking an entry to get the selection menu. I will keep that in mind for next time. Usually all I do is click Enable All Protection on the Status screen and everything gets taken care of quite nicely. When that didn't happen I was shocked.

At least now I can go to the next problem trying to find a forum to ask why User Switching doesn't work anymore. I do sometimes wonder, though, if things really have gotten much better since Windows 3.0. Maybe it's just that I was smarter when I was younger. lol

Mimi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.