Unable to complete scans with Spybot

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ZeldaManiac44, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZeldaManiac44

ZeldaManiac44 Registered Member

I am hoping someone here can help me. I downloaded Spybot Search and Destroy 1.3 on Thursday the 19th of May, onto my friend’s computer, because she had all the symptoms of an adware infected PC. I’ve had good experiences with Spybot, I’ve had it on my PC every since version 1.2, in other words, nearly two years. It has (along with other anti-spyware programs) helped my PC tremendously, despite an occasional problem launching every now and then, I can’t complain.

Anyways, I downloaded it for my friend, scanned for variants, of which 14 or so resulted, with 70 entries in all. Gator for example, was a single variant with 27 entries or traces of it found on her PC.

The next day, Friday, I used the update feature (which I should have done as soon as I downloaded, but I forgot) there were quite a few updates such as Spanish language help files, new detection rules, new detection library entries, fingerprints, skins for colorblind users, etc, etc. And so I can’t remember them all, but when I finished downloading them, I immunized, turned on TeaTimer and SDHelper, and started a new scan, three entries came up Alexa Related, BackWeb Lite and GAIN.Gator.

I chose not to eliminate Alexa Related, because I felt strongly that it wasn’t a threat (just trust me on this one, I’ve come across it before) I proceeded to get rid of BackWeb Lite and Gator. And even though I knew BackWeb Lite was probably there, because it came with the model, a Compaq, it was running in the backround a lot (i.e. running processes list) and I couldn’t help, but be suspicious, because I didn’t recall it being there earlier in the week. Some of the Gator entries couldn’t be removed, most likely because they were in use, so when Spybot asked if it could run at next startup I said “yes”.

And when it did, the scan stopped before completion giving an error message, which was partly covered, and appears to be in German, and in English. That was on Friday, and every time I scan again the same thing happens, here’s a screenshot below.

The reason it's discolored is because I had to save it as a GIF file, because I couldn't upload Bitmaps. I hope you can help me and I do hope this is in the right board. And as a final question, is it really true you don't review HijackThis logs anymore?

Attached Files:

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Wilders does not do HJT logs anymore except if requested by a moderator or expert, for information about HJT go here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=42148

Try downloading AdAware free from here: www.lavasoft.de and running it's full scan, I have found that when cleaning a PC and Spybot would not complete then running AdAware to clean the PC then Spybot will often be able to complete it's scan.
    Both apps do things slightly differently and quite often when one fails the other succeeds.

If you are running XP you could also try the beta MS-Antispyware which does have a large database but may also produce more false positives than either AA or spybot.

Also look into installing JavaCools tools for a more layered protection. See Javcool's forums here on Wilders. :)

For general cleaning instructions go here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=50662

HTH Pilli

3. ZeldaManiac44

Re: Still unable to complete scans with Spybot

Pilli, I downloaded Ad-Aware onto her computer, updated it, and did a FULL scan. It found hundreds of Tracking Cookies, and Lop malware, but Spybot still gives the same message shown in the screenshot I posted.

So can you please give me more advice?

BTW, I also posted a HijackThis log for review at the SpywareInfo Forums, because I'm certain there's still more spyware left. Just last night, as I was starting this thread, there was a AltaVista page in the Favorites list, and upon consulting my friend, she confirmed my suspicions when she said she didn't put it there.

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi ZeldaManiac44,
    As you have posted your HJT at another board you would be better off waiting for their advice as they are the experts :) Having said that it will be interesting to know what malware they find and the suggested cleaning procedure.
    One more thought about spybot, have you tried un-installing and re-installing it?

Pilli.

5. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Re: Still unable to complete scans with Spybot

If you don't mind....would you Please post the link to your thread.

7. Stephanos G.

Check the advcheck.dll

8. ZeldaManiac44

I should have done that to begin with. I suppose it didn't occur to me because I'm so used to the friendly people here, that I always go to them for help, often without trying the obvious fixes first. In the future when something like this happens, I'll remember to try everything before coming here and asking for help.

As soon as I reinstall, I'll post a follow-up about whether it fixed the error message.

I'm terribly sorry, I'll put one in now. Click here to reach my thread at SpywareInfo. I have a different screenname there, but you can be assured it's me. Also, no one appears to have responded yet, I wonder if I should bump it?

Thank you for the link, at least now I know others are having the same error, which means it's not isolated. I did check the advcheck.dll like the Dell Support thread says, and mine is old, it was "Last Modified" Wednesday, May 12, 2004 01:03:00 a.m. but when I used the integrated update feature in Spybot, there were no updates found, because after all, I had already downloaded them on Friday (check my opening post).

This could mean the update that says "Advanced detection library - Advanced detection routines update (75k) - 2004-10-14" was not installed properly when I downloaded it (Or not installed at all perhaps?).

9. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

The short answer is NO....the long answer is no....they and other Forums like it are working from can to can't to take care of user problems....that is almost humanly impossible to keep up with....but....most forums like spywareinfo will get to you sooner than later. If by chance they haven't after 3 days....follow their procedures found in the link below.

This link---> Please read this entire post carefully before doing anything else. Pay particular attention to the rules in bold.

10. Stephanos G.

11. smokie420

smokie420 Registered Member

Is that a link to download spybot or update it? (sorry im sure its a stupid question)?:oops:
    S

12. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

It's not a stupid question by no means. It's an installation program (spybotsd_advcheck.exe) to install the new advcheck.dll file.

The link offered in post # 5 is a thread concerning this type problem and like Stephanos....I'm wondering if the suggestions in that thread have been tried yet :doubt:

13. ZeldaManiac44

Sorry that I haven't posted in so long, but I wanted to let you all know that I did fix the problem and SB works fine now. :)

Thanks for your help everybody!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.