Unable to clone disk with Migrate Easy 7.0

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by ansmithz, Jul 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ansmithz

ansmithz Guest

When I select the source disk for disk cloning on my Windows XP Pro system, Migrate Easy displays the error "The hard disk with the unsupported structure cannot be selected as a source disk for cloning.". What does this mean and how do I get around this problem so that I can clone the disk to my new hard drive?

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, ansmithz

What make of HDD is it.

It sound like a WD, if so see what it is set at Basic Disk or Dynamic Disk.

Right click>My Computer>Left click>Manage>Left click>Disk Management>Right click>The HDD with the unsupported structure, see what it is set at.

Dynamic Disks are not support by Ti, you will need to convert it to Basic if that is the case.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ansmithz,

Thank you for choosing Acronis System Transferring Software.

Please open "Start" -> "Run" and issue the following command:

chkdsk [drive letter]: /r

for all your drive letters.

If the problem persists please create Acronis Report in the way described at Acronis Help Post and send it to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread. We will help you to find out the reason for the error message.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

4. ansmithz

ansmithz Guest

Since the main disk is a dynamic disk, what can I do? The microsoft technique for converting a dynamic disk back to a basic disk is to reformat the drive. If that is the only technique, then Migrate Easy 7.0 is of no use to me.

5. Acronis Support

Hello ansmithz,

We regret to inform you that current version of Acronis Migrate Easy doesn't support dynamic disks. We consider this feature forfuture versions. Acronis doesn't provide any tools for converting dynamic disks to basic.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

6. ansmithz

ansmithz Guest

Since it isn't documented anywhere with the product that it doesn't work for dynamic disks, can I get my money back?

7. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, ansmithz

I know that to be wrong, Microsoft ever supply a tool to Convert Dynamic Disk back to Basic Disk.

May not be documented but it as sure been posted on Many time before, you should have tried doing a search:- #6

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

8. Acronis Support

Hello ansmithz,

Please accept our apologies for your inconvenience. Please contact support@acronis.com with the confirmation of the purchase and the detailed description of your problem.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.