Unable to change pagefile size!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I need to change my pagefile size so that I can create a full kernel memory dump. It will not allow me to change it for what ever reason. It always changes back to 2046mb. I tried to use custom settings, and it would not let me change it. I tried using system managed, and it stayed the same. Does system managed change the page file size on the fly? If so that may work. It is my understanding that the page file has to be larger than the amount of memory on the machine. I have 3.11gbs of RAM on this machine. The pagefile size of 2046 is not sufficient to create a full memory dump if I have 3.11gbs of RAM. I checked my registry settings, and everything looked fine to me, but I'm no expert. Does anyone see anything wrong with my registry settings? I currently eading suggestion also on this page which has been very informative, but i have not tried them all yet. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969028

Attached Files:

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

It does indeed.

3. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Thanks Cudni for the info! I have now successfully changed the page file size using the custom settings. I believe it may have been blocked by one of my security Apps before. I don't know that for fact so i don't want to speculate at this time. If system managed does change the page file size on the fly then would it work to create a full kernel Dump? I have now set my page file settings as the following: initial size 4000, and Maximum size 4786. I was not sure what the best custom settings would be. Windows recommended 4786, but I did not know if I should set that as both initial, and maximum. Any recommendations as to what value i should set initial, and maximum to?

Attached Files:

4. ABee

ABee Registered Member

Pagefile size and location is always subjective. Personally, in XP, I always set min. and max. to the same number or else set a high max. number to allow for lots of 'play'.

Setting memory dump to large or small for XP is done in the 'Control Panel/System/Advanced/Startup and Recovery' area.
    You probably already know that.

Good info about the pagefile in XP is here:

http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.