Unable to burn CD's

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Mark44, Jun 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark44

Mark44 Registered Member

I'm using TI 8, build 859 and unable to burn CD's. Does TI need external software, nero, etc. in order to do this?

I have a fresh install of W2K with all updates and patches and wanted to back it up before loading a bunch of applications.

I get the 'poor media quality' msg.

thanks,

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Upgrade to the newest build of TI, 889, and then report if the problem still exists.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Mark44,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Acronis True Image doesn't require any third-party software to create Acronis Bootable CD. Could you please make sure you use blank unformatted CDs.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

4. Mark44

Mark44 Registered Member

I upgraded to TI build 889, removing the previous before installing the upgrade. I was able to create a bootable rescue CD on the second try. However, I'm not able to create an image of my HD and store it on CD's. For this operation, do I need CD software, such as nero etc., installed before I'm able to do this?

thanks for your reply.

5. niteghost

niteghost Registered Member

I beleive so, reading from past Threads, U probably need a third Party burning software, and it is stated in the Help Manual. I could be wrong.

6. jmk94903

No, TI should write to CD-R or CD-RW disks as long as they are new, unformatted disks.

The situation is different for DVD writers. If you want to write to DVD+RW, etc. disks, they must be formatted first.

When you attempt to save an image to CD disks,
    1. What kind of disks are you using? CD-R or -RW, brand
    2. What error messages do you see?
    3. What other backup programs do you have installed? GoBack, etc.
    4. Have you tried booting from the Recovery CD and making the image from that environment?

7. Mark44

Mark44 Registered Member

thanks for your reply. I'm using TDK cd-r's only, no -rw's. The error msg I see asks for a cd to be inserted in E:, which I do and later when I click "proceed", nothing happens. ATI does nothing at that point. . . . back on the main screen, it says the process is waiting, but I don't know on what. When I cancel it, another box pops up and says acronis has quit due to an error and a note has been written to some log file, though I don't know where to read this log.

I have no other backup programs installed

I haven't tried booting from the recovery CD.

8. jmk94903

TDK disks usually have no problems.

I've seen some comments about not closing the tray after inserting the blank, unformatted CD-R disk (you are using blank unformatted disks, right?) until after hitting Proceed at which point I think ATI closes the tray.

You can read the log files from the Main screen in ATI. It's on the left side fairly far down.

Try the Recovery CD and let me know.

9. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Mark44,

jmk94903 is quite correct.
    This usually overcomes the problem caused by some other program grabbing control of the CD before TI does.

I'm not sure whether the following tip applies to Win2K but for WinXP users I always recommend that they disable Windows XP's built-in drag-and-drop CD/DVD recording capability (open My Computer, right click on the CD/DVD recorder and select Properties. select the Recording tab and uncheck the tickbox labelled "Enable CD recording on this drive". Is there a similar feature you can disable in W2K?

For users of InCD, it's worth noting that installing Version 4.3.11.1 or higher automatically disables Windows built-in drag-and-drop CD/DVD recording.

Regards

Last edited: Jul 1, 2005
  10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Mark44,

Could you please try to uninstall any CD burning software you have and create the image after that? Also please try the following workaround:

- Eject any disc from the burner prior to starting the program;
    - Proceed until the program asks for a disc;
    - Insert a disc and then click the OK button to close the tray automatically.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

11. Mark44

Mark44 Registered Member

Yesterday a friend suggested splitting the image backup into pieces sized for CD-r's and saving these on a HD, then copying them onto CD's. I installed Nero, in order to do this, and it worked fine.

Then I went back and tried to save an image directly to CD's again . . . . and it worked! I can't figure out what I did different. I suspect though that it has something to do with control of the Cd burner, as the drawer opened & closed a few times before starting to write. I did learn that creating CD's the former way is much faster than doing it the later.

I now realize that no CD writing software (W2K doesn't have any like XP) is necessary for ATI to work.

My thanks to all who helped out!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.