Unable to boot to a XP Home snapshot from a XP Pro OS?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Birdman, Dec 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

I formatted my hard drive and installed Windows XP Pro as the OS and of course FD-ISR.

I imported a snapshot that I have stored on my external drive (created under my previous OS, Windows XP HOME).

It copied over w/o any errors but when I tried to boot to that snapshot, I received a black screen with the following ERROR message:

"Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.
    Could not read from the selected boot disk.
    Check boot path and disk hardware."

Is it possible to boot in a snapshot from a different OS version than the current OS of the primary?

Also the external snapshot was created under RSS, while I currently have FD-ISR in XP Pro set to operate under Windows VSS. Could this be a problem?

I need to recover all of my data (on the XP Home snapshot) and anchor them to the XP Pro snapshot.

Please tell me there is a way to do this. :doubt:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  2. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

First of all, let's establish this - Did you make the snapshot (or is it an archive?) on the same machine with the same hardware? Otherwise, I would have thought what you're doing is doable.

3. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

XP Home - made snapshot (exported to external drive) w/ FD-ISR

> formatted drive, installed XP Pro, installed FD-ISR, imported the snapshot from above (copied w/o any errors) and tried to reboot into that snapshot but received the boot error.

I solved the issue by installing XP home again, importing the snapshot and copying all of my data files/folders to a flash drive then re-installing XP Pro and updating to the previous snapshot and copying my data to that snapshot from the flash drive.

Not the most time consuming way to go about it, but I didn't want to and have to deal with any stupid error messages.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.