unable to bid on ebay

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by psiam, Feb 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psiam

psiam Registered Member

I've got Spyware Blaster, Spy-bot, Ad-Aware, and Zone Alarm on my PC, which is running on WXP Pro SP2. For now, I'm using Explorer as my browser.

For some reason, I can't confirm a bid on ebay anymore although I've got ebay listed as a "trusted" site. I can get through all the searches just fine, place a bid . . . but when it gets to be time to confirm the browser window hangs and then eventually displays the "cannot find server" page.

HELP! Any idea at all what I need to disable/allow in order to be able to purchase on ebay?

2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Welcome to the forums Psiam,

Have you made any changes to your Hosts file? Having an eBay domain listed there with a 127.0.0.1 address would certainly stop you from accessing it which could cause the problem you describe.

Another possibility is your ZoneAlarm mobile code settings - if you are "trusting" eBay (I wouldn't personally, they are by their own admission privacy whores), do check that you have covered all the domains they use (if you only access ebay.com then this is unlikely to be an issue but if you were bidding on overseas auctions, then the likes of the British ebay.co.uk or German ebay.de - depending on where the seller was based - may need to be added also).

3. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

I would try another browser. I would Just install firefox it runs alongside internet explorer efforlesly and you can choose which one you want to use for what.

And if you dont like it (i guarantee you, you will!) but if you dont you can unistall it with no problems.

Its completely free too.

4. psiam

psiam Registered Member

Where would I look for the Hosts file?

And yes, I'm planning on installing Firefox. I just put in a new HD and upgraded to XP Pro and am still installing all of my drivers and software. One crisis at a time. *wink*

5. dog

dog Guest

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

The file is "Hosts", open it with Notepad. ;)

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.