Unable Disk-Image creation (+ gen questions)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mwilg, Apr 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mwilg

mwilg Registered Member

I cannot get a successful disk-image creation of the primary C drive. There is a definite possiblity that I have other problems on that drive, since it will no longer do a check disk run either (locks up on step 4). However, just in case the error is: Read Error (0x70003). If this was due to just one file or segment, could not TI be programmed to simply move and complete the image, but list the missing sections on the log (ie. usea 'backup created, but with errors' message)

Also:
    - Previously, I had backup jobs pause because they had similar read errors on certain files, but the job did not completely cease, it just waited for a 'Retry' or 'Ignore' prompt from the user. Is there an 'unattended' selection somewhere that would tell the program to automatically continue on its own after a certain nbr of retry failures?

Finally, I'm still not totally clear on the differences between an incremental B/u and a differential one. Seems like they both only add on updated or new data, but incremental will do so with a new file every time while differential recreates just one additional (from the original full-backup image) second file, is that correct?

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

You might have seen the answer I posted in the other topic, if not here it is:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, Mwilg, I mean that those devices tend to "throw a curve" to TI. So if you have problems with TI and you have multiple usb devices (especially usb hubs) and/or wireless keyboard/mouse, try disconnecting any usb items that are not necessary for the task at hand. Next, use standard keyboard/mouse devices.

It just seems to me that there are many problems being reported by others who are using such devices.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Having TI skip the bad area is like fixing the symptom rather than the problem. I would say you have a disk that needs attention and as a rule disks in this state get worse not better.

I don't know to what extent TI does or does not do retries. I had a bunch of errors listed in my event logger and TI did ultimately verify the image - took 10 times longer than it should have though.

Both an incremental and a differential backup create a file with only changes in it. The difference is that the incremental contains the changes since the last incremental backup. A differential contains all the changes since the last FULL image was done. Differential files are therefore bigger. When you want to restore back to the time of your last backup, you restore the full backup and the last differential backup in the differential case. In the incremental case, you restore the full backup and ALL of the incremental backups. The first backup after a full backup whether a differential or incremental contains the same changes.

On Chutsman's USB comments. I tend to agree with him although I consider, and perhaps he does to, that the USB problems are caused by a lack of drivers in the linux environment. You start the linux environment when you create/restore a backup from the CD version. You also start it when you have to reboot from Windows when restoring your C drive. Obviously, a key part of the process and if the drivers are inadequate then you have a problem - from no activity to very slow activity.

This is why the BartPE or Reatogo version is useful as a restore environment - it is a Windows environment and therefore has the appropriate USB drivers.

4. mwilg

mwilg Registered Member

Granted, and I am currently working on a new machine; although I would still say that any b/u, even one with some missing segments, is better than none at all. I've had experience to base this on (when using XP's b/u). Even though I couldn't do a disk restore, I was still thankful to have the folders/files that were still available.

Interesting - out of curiosity, what was the error(s), since the read error I got failed the entire job.

On the different b/u types, it sounds rather like the differential would be the easier one to use if plugging the image, since the program would only have 02 files through which to sort thru.
    Particularly if one's trying to find the latest version of just one specific folder/file, it sounds like the incremental could become a massive headache after a while with the ever-increasing number of files to sift through.

So, I wondered what this was about. What does one do with that plug-in then, use it when booting from the CD? Is it an automatic thing. This is completely new on me, so any/all info welcome.

BTW Acronis, pls add in a search feature to the Help section (is BartPE covered in that, I have no way of knowing without trying to read thru the whole thing)!

5. seekforever

The disk errors were controller error, parity error and a lot of paging operation errors. This is on a SATA drive which is why it flags a parity error. The fix was to replace the SATA cable as recommended by following the Event Log error to MS. It fixed all of the above errors.

I would get the disk into a condition that chkdsk can at least run properly. It is asking a lot of TI to backup a disk that is in bad condition. Note that TI creates a map of in-use sectors and bypasses the normal file system which is why it and other imaging programs can run quite fast compared to doing a file backup. It isn't a matter of just skipping a bad file. It however does have to understand the file structure to be able to do its thing. If it doesn't understand the file structure it is supposed to do a complete sector copy. However, in your case, it is recognizing what the file system is but then the bad area is screwing it up.

A plug-in in this case is a program that has a been created or setup to run in the BartPE environment. When you build the BartPE environment you include the plugin in the items you want available. After the CD is created, you boot into the BartPE environment and then select the TI plugin just like you select a program from the XP Start menu. You can have various plugins available just like you can have various programs in XP.

6. mwilg

mwilg Registered Member

Thanks for the heads-up info on SATA drive errors, because that's what I'm planning on mvg up to with this next machine. I agree that there's problems on the drive and that TI can't be expected to overcome that.

Ok...so if I understand this correct, it's essentially a mini-OS like environment that one uses when booting from the TI Rescue Media CD. My only confusion at that point would be what to use it for, since one presumably has TI up and running at that point straight from the CD w/o the plug-in and ready to just start implimenting a restore...or is the BartPE necessary to get TI running from the CD (manual doesn't seem to indicate that it is)? Sorry, still confused as to its application at this point, but tks for the replies to date, including Chutsman's stuff earlier.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mwilg,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure that you use the latest build of the respective version of Acronis True Image which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists then enable logging by running the Acronis drivers installation package once again, reproduce the problem and collect the c:\snapapi.log file.

If that does not help, please boot your computer from the bootable rescue media and try to create the image in rescue mode.

If the problem still persists, please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

8. seekforever

Not quite. BartPE is used when you can't get the TI standalone version running properly from the TI CD for whatever reason. Typically the reason is because the TI rescue CD doesn't have the necessary or good drivers for a device, or for some reason other hardware disagrees with the linux environment. The BartPE environment is Windows.

You create the BartPE environment with the TI plugin (program) to use instead of the Acronis TI rescue CD.

Edit: Fixed quoting

Last edited: Apr 10, 2006
  9. mwilg

mwilg Registered Member

Ah ha. Ok, Tks.

10. mwilg

mwilg Registered Member

Well, I thought I understood this, but now not so sure.

My new computer is multi-OS (XP & 2000, using partitions). I started making some initial changes to the desktop and video settings as well as running the Network wizard. However, after restarting for the network wizard, I now have an 'Error Loading OS'.
    So, I dutifully put in the TI Rescue CD and rebooted, but nothing happened.

Just for a test, I also put in the XP Pro CD and rebooted, but it still won't boot from the CD. So am I missing a step in getting this thing to boot from the CD or...?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.