uMatrix Help

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Overkill, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

I am trying to wrap my brain around this complex extension, so I have been reading this tutorial...do you guys agree with it and if you all could give any helpful advise it would be appreciated.
    The uMatrix tut starts about a quarter of the way down the page fyi

2. XhenEd

XhenEd Registered Member

* = Global scope (every website you visit is affected, except when exceptions are made on particular websites)
    [website name] = control of that specific website

colors:
    green = allow
    red = block

What exactly do you not understand with uMatrix?

3. Overkill

Well, which cells (cookie, css, plugin etc) should always be blocked? I think anything under where it says "1st party" is 3rd party correct?
    Here's my current settings... I don't use some of the hosts because I have them enabled in hostsman
    screenshot.1.png screenshot.2.png

I am trying to get the images to show on this page, but haven't had any luck so far. If it was blocked in uBlocko it is alot more simple to figure out.

Image2.png

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  4. XhenEd

XhenEd Registered Member

1st party is different from 3rd party.
    Below "1st party" are 1st party elements.
    After 1st party elements, there is a tiny spacious line. Below that spacious line are the 3rd party elements.

About the cells, I use the default: block cookie, plugin, script, XHR, and other, except the 1st party cells; allow css and image for all cells; hard block frame for all 3rd party cells.
    I have some cells allowed globally, and I have some allowed locally.

Edit: for more clarity, a clue to mark the limit of 1st party is the "frame". 1st party frame elements are green. So, if a frame cell becomes red without your intervention, then that marks the start of the 3rd party domains.
    Edit2: I'm stating from the "specific website" perspective. Global scope has slightly different settings.

5. XhenEd

XhenEd Registered Member

You should allow "1st-party" cell. It should turn dark green.

Oh, that's another clue: allowing/blocking "1st-party" cell will point you to which are 1st party elements and which are 3rd party elements.

6. Overkill

The image from my post above is from postimgdotio, so which cells do I click allow?

EDIT: I think I did it correctly

Image2.png

This also worked
    Image4.png

7. XhenEd

XhenEd Registered Member

That numbered "script" from 12bytes.org.
    Or better, to avoid unnecessary blocking and breaking websites, allow "1st-party" cell (dark green).

8. XhenEd

XhenEd Registered Member

Oh, my bad. I just realized that you are following the guide you provided. And so, it is not the default setting.
    The guide teaches you to protect your privacy more, but it will break majority of sites you visit until you create allow rules for these sites. That will be a hassle. :)

9. Overkill

Yes it is a hassle lol but i'm slowly figuring it out. Thanks

10. Overkill

I edited post #6, should I always just allow 1st party or is the second way more secure?

11. XhenEd

XhenEd Registered Member

I think the second one is slightly more secure because if a rogue element (other than a script) infiltrates that website, that malware is blocked. But this is a hassle for you.
    The 1st one allows all 1st-party elements to load. This is slightly unsecured. This is less hassle, though, because broken websites are typically only happen when these sites depend something on the 3rd-party elements.

12. Overkill

Thanks XhenEd I appreciate the help

13. XhenEd

XhenEd Registered Member

You're welcome! :)

14. Overkill

I have a weird issue...I have everything allowed but my buttons fade and scrollbar changes in gmail after a few minutes
    https://i.imgur.com/kGreZzQ.jpg

15. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

@Overkill,

you might want to check out this page explaining two approaches to use uMatrix (example is for older HTTP Switchboard, but it still applies to uMatrix), especially the block-all/allow-exceptionally approach. Whitelisting or blacklisting the global cells in the left-most column is easier and more trouble-free than trying to manage this in the middle cells.

16. Overkill

Thanks, will check it out!

17. Overkill

source

@gorhill Are you still using uMatrix this way?

18. XhenEd

XhenEd Registered Member

I believe it refers to "Hosts files" that are present even in the current uMatrix version. Even if you whitelist all cells, as long as at least one host file is activated, some ads, trackers, etc. will be blocked through that host file(s).

19. gorhill

gorhill Guest

That post is December 2013. The truth is that I am not using uMatrix anymore, I use uBO in medium mode. With 3rd-party cookies and all plugins blocked by default in browser, this is really what works for me.

20. Overkill

I see, well I appreciate your honesty and I love both programs and hope they stick around for a long time. You are obviously very talented to have created such brilliant extensions :)

21. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

So is uMatrix considered 'mature' and on the backburner as far as you are concerned, or do you still take a peep now and then ? I am using both in all my browsers and love them both. Thank you.

22. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

uM is more granular (in special for css and plugs), but not mature. dropped it like raymond did and rely on uBo only. it took me too much time to configure both in a proper way without interference and got less results = waste of time. and in fact uBo has features which uM dont offer.

23. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

Not a mature program? I do agree that running both extensions with their original default or medium settings of dynamic blocking is a big hassle. Both extensions offer privacy features that the other does not have.

Anyways my current default uM setting is with all host files unchecked and they selected in uBO.
    And as important my
    * * * block rule is now changed to
    * * * allow

I do block cookies and 3rd party frames still with uM but nothing else as a default. And my browser does not run plugins neither automatically.
    And yes I can when I want apply uM's full power to a website's filtering.

This all is of course a bit theoretical with my computer being so hacked that mouse behaves erratically and propably some bios hack behind all this. Sad situation altogether and nothing I have powers to do to protect or clean. Anyways I do like to do what I can with these 2 extensions.

24. gorhill

gorhill Guest

Yes, I consider it mature, the next version will be 1.0.0. I will ensure it keeps working as it should on all currently supported platforms. It's not because I do not use it myself others should mimic me. The way I was using uMatrix was usually to create rules not more granular than domain level. When used this way, uBO is probably a better match.

25. Overkill

I wish UBO had the privacy features like in UM :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.